Advice about showers

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mlang, Jul 8, 2014.

1. mlang

mlang New Member

Rather a premature question here - haven't even bought the house in question yet.

We're in the middle of purchasing a house needs a lot of work. There's a small but reasonable bathroom that needs redoing. At the moment, the bath is installed with the taps coming up by the external wall. At the other end, there's a smallish gap that's had a floor to ceiling storage cabinet installed made out of laminated chipboard. An electric shower has been installed onto that cabinet. I haven't tried the shower to see how well it works, but the laminate is chipped and the installation looks ugly.

So my question is - any thoughts on what I should do with it?

So far, I've considered...
    - removing the cabinet and replacing it with built in storage.
    - replacing the existing bath taps with bath shower taps (the house has a back boiler, so I don't know what that means for water pressure).
    - moving the bath so the gap is at the other end and having the taps and shower on the interior wall.

Anyone with any advice?

Thanks

2. Biochef

Biochef Member

By the time you move in you will have a catalogue of things to do so yes a bit premature

3. Supra

Supra Member

What a pathetic and immature response to a genuine question, it's not for you to decide if it's premature.

Of course he'll have plenty of things to do and this is one of them, that's obviously why he's asking for some advice.

4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Oh dear that's a bit harsh ??????????

5. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

If you could post a photo .... It's worth a thousand words.
    Chipboard in a shower area is a BAD idea.
    Welcome to the forum. :eek:

6. :rolleyes:

Mlang, I do understand where Bio is coming from, but - hey - no harm in running these things through your mind now.

How much can we say without a photo, or without measurements?

That end bit - it's large enough to currently be a cupboard? Initial, off t'top of he 'ead, thoughts would be to keep the current layout, but obviously redo it with new parts:

A new bath which is designed for comfortable standing room for a shower, with a proper glass panel. I'm thinking of them curved ones so's the bath is wider at the 'shower' end. That cupboard then remains a cupboard (rebuilt, of course) with either vented doors for storage or else made into an attractive open-shelved unit - or even a storage cupboard below and open towel shelves above.

Taps to be either mid-mounted or at t'tother end of t'bath.

Choice of shower will depend on the state of your plumbing and what you may need to do with it. A back boiler suggests a stored-water system, which can give a good flow for a shower if the tanks are high up enough or a booster pump is fitted. The current electric shower will be pants by comparison (tho' ok for occasional use) - they all are.

If the back boiler is old, it won't be very efficient. Is there a chance you might go 'combi-boiler'? If so, I'd say fit a conventional shower and not a leccy one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  7. Biochef

Biochef Member

Why do you think that ? I was really just agreeing with mlang when you purchase a house you have a million and one things running around your head I bough my house ten years ago and still not got round to doing a lot of things
    When he moves in the house will dictate what needs done and when ,jobs will be prioritised according to necessity and budget
    In saying all that I do think a bathroom is first priority
    Then kitchen ,and always last on list MAN CAVE :(

8. Supra

Supra Member

I'm sorry, I apologise.

The tablets didn't help. :(