Advice fitting surrey flange

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Redhotferrari, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Redhotferrari

Redhotferrari New Member

Need to fit a surrey flange to cylinder, not done one before and would appreciate any advice!

Is the top of the flange the feed for the shower pump and the other outlet for the main hot water?

What connectors do I need for the connections to the flange? I assume its a 3/4 to 22mm male iron for each?

The existing cylinder has an essex flange, but dont fancy buying a new cylinder when I cut the whole wrong!!!

Look forward to some advice.

Many thanks

2. Redhotferrari

Redhotferrari New Member

On second thoughts, can I just tee into the 22mm hot water outlet from the cylinder? Current pipework for the shower comes up from the level of the bottom of the cylinder and into the essex flange, was thinking I could tee off, elbow down and join into the current pipework....or will this cause problems with air intake etc?

3. tgs

tgs New Member

Surrey flanges screw into the top of the cylinder once you have removed the union to reveal a threaded hole at the top of the cylinder.

The side fitting is for the shower, and the top fitting accepts the original union you removed. If you have some movement in the pipework around the tank (about 1/1/2" vertical) then it is easy. If the pipes are rigidly held in place (through walls or into concrete floors) then you will have to cut the vertical 22mm pipework above and below the tank connection and adjust to accommodate the vertical movement. Still easy but slightly less so.

You can tee into the 22mm pipework but it has to be done in a special way so it needs moving about. Not hard though. Go to the Salamander website and download their pump manual. It shows what's required.

The easiest from a plumbing point of view is an essex flange. You will need to go to a proper plumber's merchant for one. Once you get over the shock of the idea of drilling a hole through the side of the hot water cylinder it is easy. You don't change any existing pipework.

If you go this route, once you have the flange, go over the instructions very carefully until you are sure you understand them. If necessary practice on a piece of hardboard first. Any holesaw (new one is best) will cut through the copper neatly and quickly.

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Just don't drill near an immersion element or the coil