Advice for fitting a 2 piece MDF bath panel

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jockie Joe, May 6, 2016.

1. Jockie Joe

Jockie Joe New Member

I am looking for advice to fit a 2 piece white gloss MDF straight front bath panel. It has a plinth and separate front panel that can be adjusted to suit the height of the bath. It came without instructions and without suitable fittings. Fitting the plinth is ok, but I'm having problems fitting the panel. I would like to fit it without visble screws, using brackets and/or clips/hooks on a 4x4 wood frame. I am unsure of what fittings to use and how to secure the panel onto the frame. Would appreciate any advice on suitable fittings to use and also any tips to assemble a suitable frame that will hold the panel.
    Thanks.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Because bath panels do sometimes have to be removed, what about using magnetic fittings.

$_35.JPG

Jockie Joe and tore81 like this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Most important make sure you seal any edges that are on show. MDF on water don't mix very well.

I have done one before screwing with plastic caps only cause it needed to be strong. But thought it looked ok with the white caps.

Like phils idea but can get get all sorts of hidden fixings.

Jockie Joe likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

What I was thinking of CGN didn't realise Screwfix did them.

I will be buying them myself

CGN likes this.
  6. Jockie Joe

Jockie Joe New Member

That's grand..Thanks for the help and advice. Will try these clips out :)

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Jockie Joe and CGN like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just a thought, you'll need something to grab hold off to pull the panel off :)

Jockie Joe likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

They had some on a bathroom vanity unit I fitted recently, jogged my memory tore :)

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Tbf, I tend to use the White screw caps most of the time with bath panels, as it's a case of function before aesthetics. 9/10mm ply, bit of moulding to give it a 'bit of something' and voila...perfect durable bath panel for a renter. Nice to use something more fancy when I have the chance though :)

Jockie Joe likes this.
  11. Jockie Joe

Jockie Joe New Member

True....thought about using a suction cup to pull panel off??

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  12. Jockie Joe

Jockie Joe New Member

Thanks..This is also something I could look into. ☺

13. Jockie Joe

Jockie Joe New Member

Lol...must be just the thing then ;)

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I always 'align' them with any mouldings, so at least there is some symmetry.

If the panel is held in at the plinth, a couple of small screws just below the edge of the bath and painted in would hardly be noticeable.

Jockie Joe likes this.
  15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can't see how the Keku fixing will work as you need to lift the panel upward to seperate the fixings and also drop the panel into them

Bath panels usually sit under the bath edge, so how you gonna lift up when you have a leak :eek:

Could be wrong , has been know, only diy

Where was panel from, obvious answer would be to ask the supplier, copy of fitting instructions and a set of fixings sent out to you

Have built a couple of panels myself from scratch. Plywood backing with T & G facia. Ply sticks up higher than T&G and pops into groove under bath edge

Baton screwed to floor, 2 screws with caps through panel into baton. Maybe your bath is a different construction

Jockie Joe likes this.
  16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Keku's push on, you would need them on the panel and the plinth.
    I'm not sure it's the answer but if you buy an MDF bathroom fitting without instructions or a fitting kit then the solution is to get someone else in.

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Oh right, always happy to learn I am. Only ever seen the drop down Keko fittings.
    Not a fan of "flush mounts". Found them well fiddly to use
    But these push on Kekus loog good indeed

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could possibly use them as drop down, I've only used them as push on, you do have to be accurate though.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

20. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

We fitted a bath panel just like that one, the instructions said to use velcro pads.

Too late. Didn't see sospan's reply