Advice needed - New build home

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CookD, Apr 12, 2017.

1. CookD

CookD New Member

Hi all,

I've joined the forum to gain some advice for what has happened to our near built new build home.

We were sent this picture of our house from a friend who lives opposite. As you can see the roof tiles are a different colour.

[​IMG]

We raised this with the developer and after a week or so, they explained they were aware of the issue and that it will be "resolved".. (not sure why they were fitted in the first place).

I was then notified by someone off the site that they have not replaced the tiles but they have "sprayed" them. After speaking to the Area Manager on our weekly update calls, I asked her directly if they had replaced the tiles to which she said "yes". I told her she was lying and that I know they have been sprayed. She then put me on to the Site Manager who proceeded to tell me this was ok, but after speaking to a few people who are in the building trade, we should not be accepting this.

For one, what is the maintenance on this "spray"? Does it need to be done every 5-10 years? Does it affect the durability of the roof? I have contacted our solicitors on where we stand but would just ask for your opinion on this "spray" so I can understand if we've been subjected to a temporary fix.

Many thanks,

Dan

2. collectors

collectors Member

Would they do the same with bricks?. Personally i would create hell about it on a new house, & dont except any guarantee if they do blend them in as they might not be around in years to come when you try to sell the house with possibly odd looking tiles. It looks like its been patched up after storm damage.
    Also, if they are going to replace them, get it done before the upstairs ceilings are finished.

CookD likes this.
  3. Dan.

Please ask them what the cause of the discolouration was and also what spray they used - then come back on here.

4. CookD

CookD New Member

The colour was different due to a different batch from the same manufacturer (what the site manager told me). They don't know what it was sprayed with other then referring to it as "tint", and it was the manufacturer who came to site with a cherry picker and sprayed the tiles.

It seems the developer are starting to realise how much they have cocked up as we are going to stand strong and not accept it.

5. Magjul

Magjul Member

Insist that the roof tiles are changed - entirely the responsibility of the roofing company, whose operative should have ensured that all of the tiles were from the same batch, (this is marked on pack wrappings). Site manager is trying to wriggle out of it in order to maintain his anticipated completion date, upon which he is probably bonussed!!
    If you can find out the roof tile manufacturer, their standard fixing details WILL identify that batch numbers should be checked before laying.
    Very much doubt that is was the manufacturer who sprayed, more likely Plastic Surgeon, Damage Doctor or similar.......

CookD likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looks bludy awful,as already mentioned earlier, I reckon you will have problems selling years down the line, peeps will ask questions.
    As the treatment is not a one off application, but usually has to be reapplied after so many years.

Roof needs complete retiling, & I also very much doubt a tile manufacturer would spray them.

CookD likes this.
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Having slightly different colour roof tiles (same as bricks) is something that happens. Good practice is to finish a section of roof in one batch and use the different batch on another. With your roof they should have finished the main section in one batch before starting the smaller gable roof.

There would still be a slight difference but because they are on different roof sections it wouldn't be so noticeable

Spraying them seems barmy as this will look even worse in a few years as the paint breaks down

CookD likes this.
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

you have some problems with the brickwork as well. The diagonal line next to the block work looks wrong and should have had lead flashing in it for the canopy roof

upload_2017-4-12_13-12-55.png

The right hand edge the cement joints are too big and the wrong colour to the bottom and higher courses
    upload_2017-4-12_13-13-32.png

You may need to check if there are weep slots above the downstairs bay window as well

And the scaffolding is non compliant

CookD likes this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I can't understand why the roofers fitted them in the first place, unless site management told them to, as Stevie Wonder can see they contrast like a sore thumb. Do not spray, as it may last a few years but you'll have to top it up at your cost and why on earth should you? New Build, New work, New tiles.

CookD likes this.
  10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

For one awful moment I thought half the Windows were leaded and the other not.

They blew the pic up. :p:p:p:p:p

CookD likes this.
  11. CookD

CookD New Member

Really appreciate the feedback guys.

We've told the developers we are not accepting it. My friend's dad who owns a building company rang the site manager and from understanding how the conversation went, it appears they have no valid response when questioned. The site manager said the "guarantee" would be on the developers for the first 2 years then it would be NHBC for the following 8. After speaking to NHBC, they do not accept cosmetic claims i.e. replacing "tint" spray, only if the roof is leaking water.. so we'd be out of pocket every time it needs doing.

We are now going through our solicitors to get this sorted.

I shall keep you posted!

12. Don't you have some final payments you could simply withhold so as to focus their minds?

These roof tiles are different because they came from a different batch, then? Blimey, that is unacceptable.

(I asked about the cause of the differences chust in case it was something innocent like storage dirt, or moss build-up which could in theory be fully resolved with cleaning, but it clearly ain't that!)

I would not - under any circumstances - accept a temporary fix such as tinting. I would also treat everything they now say with some caution as they've clearly been trying to evade responsibility and have told you some basic fibs - they have shown themselves to be somewhat untrustworthy, so always be as cynical as you can if any further issues come up.

KIAB likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

NHBC are notorious for not holding builders to account, they let things ramble on for years. Just google "problems NHBC warranty"

The issue with your roof tiles and scaffolding shows on-site standards have dropped considerably

If possible get an independent building inspector to look at the house. It isn't just the tiles you need to worry about the cosmetic issues over the brick work will look worse over the years and the diagonal line of brickwork under the top left bedroom window looks odd. Independent building surveyor at this stage should be £100 - £150 and at least will give you peace of mind if there are any other issues.

You would think buying a new house would be problem and stress free .......

KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  14. CookD

CookD New Member

We have given the solicitors 10% of the list price as a deposit to exchange contracts (they've had this money for over 6 months!). The only final "payment" as such would be when we complete and give the remainder of our deposit.

Your final statement rings very true, I'm now very concerned what other things they may be hiding.

KIAB likes this.
  15. CookD

CookD New Member

I think it's laughable that they can say NHBC will be their guarantee if things go wrong.

I'm not sure on their protocol of letting people/surveyors view the house without it being ready. We get a home preview 1 week before we complete, to which I shall be bringing my friend's dad to snag the hell out of it.. he's quite looking forward to it.

This is just one of the issues we've had with the developers.. they just have your balls in a vice as the contract is heavily weighted in their favour.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would get your friends dad to have a nosey around before things get hidden even if it is just from the public road.

I went to to see a Wimpey home years ago and where there floor boards had lifted, workmen had stepped on the pipes and partially crushed them, you just know they would have been covered over and the homeowners would have suffered for years

KIAB and CookD like this.
  17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Independent surveyors around this way will charge around £500 minimum for a full report.

18. wau5

wau5 Active Member

hahaha the joys of Newbuilds...

19. CookD

CookD New Member

We've just received this letter from our Solicitor from the tile manufacturer:

Further to my site visit 30 March 2017 relating to shading of <<tile product>> we confirm having carried out remedial work insitu to the roof of the above plot and have reapplied the acrylic coating which is the same as used during the manufacture of the tiles.

The Remedial Contractor carried out this work on our behalf in accordance with good industry practice.

By having this work carried out then the roof colour was harmonised and it has no detrimental effect on both the tile performance and the standard guarantee still remains unaffected.

We trust this clarifies the situation however if you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

If they have used the "same acrylic coating" as used in the manufacturing process, why were they a totally different colour to begin with? What do you guys reckon?

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It would be interesting to see what the "standard guarantee" covers. I would be surprised if covers colour retention.

Tiles like Redland are through coloured so the colour is all the way through the tiles rather than just the top