Advice needed on changing kitchen mixer tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Keith Wilson, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Keith Wilson

Keith Wilson New Member

Hi.
    I need to change the mixer tap in the kitchen as its starting to split down the side of the spout. On looking at the pipe work underneath, the pipe from the underside of the tap goes down to a soldered joint as you can see on the attached pictures. My question is, how do I change to tap, and do I need to solder pipes in?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Keith Wilson

Keith Wilson New Member

How easy is it to fit the compression fittings or to solder? Bearing in mind in not a plumber but competent DIYer

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you haven't got the kit, or confident about doing the job, get a plumber, about a hour's work at most.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The soldered joint that is shown in the picture is part of the tap tail and would have been pre soldered like that out the box

As Kiab says, new taps will come with either same copper tails or many taps now come with flexis

Post a picture of where the tails join on to the supply pipe work and we can advice further

As I diy'er myself, would say that compression fittings are easier to use than soldered if you've not got any experience, but the easiest of all has gotta be push fit tap tails (still certain rules need to be applied though)

You want to buy a set of "mononloc tap spaners" before you even start as getting to the bolt on that horseshoe is a nightmare without them :eek:

Also a good time to check - isolation valves fitted both hot and cold ?

6. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Also as its a mono block tap you should have isolation and check valves as set out in water regulations 1999
    You can sell water fittings that don't meet our regulations but fitting them is iligal and so is fitting an approved water fitting without the required valves

7. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

wAOpSBnAVleWBUDyX0FW.gif

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

most taps are supplied with the flexis, but the connector on the end is sometimes just a female thread. They will be with M10 or M10 threads.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

M10 or M12.:)

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

'Iligal', 'our regulations', oh my.

11. plumber-boy

:p

12. Keith Wilson

Keith Wilson New Member

Hi thanks for all the replies here is a pick of where the tails meet the pipes! The only thing that resembles stops are also pictured

Attached Files:

13. Keith Wilson

Keith Wilson New Member

Thanks for the reply, the house was built in 2010 so I'm guessing it will meet the regs. The valves are shown in a pic attached to another post

14. plumber-boy

I'd like to know who done the soldering.:eek:
    They must of been drinking. very-drunk.gif

15. Keith Wilson

Keith Wilson New Member

The company that built the houses, most probably were!!!

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

:oops:

17. Raymond

Raymond New Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016