Advice needed on what to use for job.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I'm replacing a very old bayonet fitting pendant/rose thing with downlighters, I'm not sure of the name of it, but I've attached a photo. I'm guessing I need some kind of junction box (again, I'm not sure of the name of it) to put all the wires safely into and then run the wiring out for the downlighters.

Could anyone point me in the direction of what I need please?

So far, I've got the downlights, choc boxes, 1mm twin and earth. It's just the stuff to replace the light fitting that I need.

Thanks! 20160817_122517.jpg

2. I would use an Ashley J804 maintenance free junction box.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

And a few more 803/804 JBs to daisy chain the downlighters together

Monkey Chops likes this.
  4. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, are they pretty straightforward to transfer everything over?

5. Pollowick

They are, provided you know what you are doing, understand the differences between live and switched live and the way cables are colour coded and sleeved, you realise the safety implications and ensure everything is safe before, during and after.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  6. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

An electrician because you don't have a clue.

Risteard likes this.
  7. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

All the gear , no idea?

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Monkey chops

9. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

least he knows not to put a bulb in that fitting (what happened some one take a sledge hammer to it lol)

10. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

All done, pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help Deleted member 11267 and pollowick, the j804 did the job well.

11. Pollowick

Nice to get a response back when a job is completed ... so many times people ask for advice, get plenty and then never return to say, how successful it was.

I like the J803/804 boxes, not the smallest but ideal for many jobs and they use good quality connectors (Wago) especially when compared to some of the cheap and nasty stuff that is around.

12. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

It helped me out, so a thanks is in order! The only minor problem I had was that the wires from above had very little play in them, maybe 2cm at the most, so it was a bit fiddly, but managed to get it all in and clipped up tight. Thanks again, much appreciated.

20160820_185323.jpg

13. Pollowick

Are those ceiling panels the 2700 long x 250mm wide uPVC ones? I am about to order some - how easily did they install and what did you use to fix them with?

14. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

They are 2.6m x 25cm x 8mm thick, I got them here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Gloss-W...318133?hash=item58a4d18b35:g:B8MAAOxyBXNSX9EY

Quality is spot on, white gloss finish with a chrome trim and they are easy to cut with a decent stanley knife. They recommend gluing them to an existing ceiling, but I decided to make a wooden frame and lower the ceiling because there's a 45 degree slope at one end of the ceiling and also the ceiling boards are asbestos and I didn't fancy cutting holes in it for the lights! I used small screws in the tongue of each board to fasten them in 4 places. I got the silver coving trim too, which gives a nice neat finish, but is a pig to mitre as it is really soft.

20160813_175650_1.jpg

15. Pollowick

Thanks ... I have a ceiling that is around 30mm out from corner to corner so it shows in the tile line and have battened it down to near level (within 1 or 2mm) and plan to glue them up. A small screw certainly will no go amiss. In my case I will start with fine trim on two walls and work to the others and then take the tiles up to the cladding with a line of silicone to finish it.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't understand - why not 12.5mm plasterboard with skim?

17. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

For what?

18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

If doing it myself I know I wouldn't be skimming, as I can't plaster.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Just lay it on quickly State - pull plaster (Multifinish) down roughly, and then trowel off to a smooth finish - don't worry about the two coat technique with small areas and stuff..I can only do small areas myself, so am not portraying myself as a finish plasterer.

20. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I know the thoery JP... I work alongside a couple plasterers we use for listed buildings and they manage to do all sorts of amazing things with plaster.

I've tried plastering before at home and spent my time ruing the times I did it, as I had to stare at the imperfect finish until I moved house!!!