Advice needed - plug in oven and hob on one 32A circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Michael Sibley, May 16, 2015.

1. Michael Sibley

Michael Sibley New Member

Hello. I currently have a 32A cooker circuit that runs through a cooker switch on the wall to a double socket behind the single oven under the worktops. The oven is 3400w and plugs in. There is also a gas hob that I would like to replace with an induction hob. The induction hobs I have seen that fit the bill are all about 7000w.

There is 6mm cabling that runs to the double socket and I'd replace the double socket with a cooker switch and single socket for the new hob and plug in oven. I can only see me using the oven and all four hob rings rarely (Christmas etc).

My question is, can I safely run my 3400w oven and 7000w induction hob on this circuit? Thanks for any advice.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

FatHands likes this.
  3. Michael Sibley

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. That's good to hear. One further questions, should I try and keep the oven on a plug so that it retains the 13A fuse protection from the plug?

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

My advice would be use a dual outlet plate, like KIAB suggested, and wire the electric oven and the ceramic hob directly on to the dual outlet plate. Both appliances are fixed loads so they cannot draw more current than they are rated at. The 13A fuse in the plug is not needed for fault protection, the circuit fuse will look after short circuits and fault currents. No overload protection necessary.

FatHands likes this.
  5. Michael Sibley

Thanks to you both. I'll pick up a dual outlet plate as you both advise. Good to know that we can have a 7Kw hob.