Advice: New career.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ThatDudeNick, Apr 23, 2016.

1. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

Hey guys, looking for advice starting a new career as a kitchen fitter through a 10 week intensive course. (I know what your thinking already please bear with me)

Okay some background info.
    When I left school I started my apprenticeship in carpentry NVQ level 1 through college alone then moved onto level 2 but switched over to joinery. Completed my NVQ level 2 while being empolyed by a local joinery shop and stayed with them for two years. I didn't have the opportunity to do the level 3 at the time because apparently they couldn't put both me and a second apprentice through at the same time and asked me hold off for a year. It was a really difficult, stressful workshop but being young and dumb & not looking at the bigger picture I left and went self employed into dry lining and been doing that for some 6 years or so.

Dry lining is terrible, I'm often out of work for weeks or even months at a time. It's not a career I want to keep due to it being so unstable.

So I come across this 10 week intensive course for kitchen fitting, it's qualifications are City & Guilds 6219 (I know, worthless) but they also include the electrical side of things too for lights, kitchen appliances etc
    Part P Domestic Electrical Installation &
    City & Guilds 2382-10 17th Edition Wiring Certificate.

Question is, I'm 27 I started off as a carpenter/joiner. Gained my NVQ level 2. Went on to dry lining and now i'll like to go back to my roots of carpentry/joinery do you think if the company can deliver quality training through this course that I can peruse a new career in kitchen fitting? I already have most of the tools, van, self employed. Even kept my finger in the carpentry trade doing hobbles and working on my own house over the years so not like I'm starting fresh with that trade.

I also have a work buddy I have been working with over the years who interested in perusing the same and has a very similar experiences as myself. We both like to get off site now and branch out and start with the domestic side of building.

I understand its a long post and appreciate any of you who read through it and kind enough to offer advise, suggestions or anything to help me see if this would be a good choice, investment.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The hard bit is getting the work.

3. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

That is a thought I had but it's hard securing contracts dry lining. I figured it surely be easier finding work kitchen fitting and general carpentry then dry lining. Im now approaching general builders and my contacts are building through that which Is great.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

What you should do is purchase an old house, renovate it, then sell it on.

Seen it on "Homes under the Hammer" the other day. Young foreign guy buys a terraced wreck for £23k, new kitchen, new bathroom, floors tiled and wooden floors laid also and decorated from top to bottom all for £5k.

The house was valued at £40k.

ThatDudeNick likes this.
  5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Once you buy an ole dilapidated home you immediately have the work. LoL.

ThatDudeNick likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you feel like taking a gamble some of the national outfits are always looking for fitters for kitchens and bedrooms a mate of mine does it get a good share of inside work.

however the pay isnt the best £15 an hour and you only get paid once the customer has signed the installation off.

ThatDudeNick likes this.
  7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Have you ever fitted a kitchen before?
    With your experience as a joiner I doubt you would find it challenging.
    There's only worktop mitres and scribing panels where joinery really comes into it anyway. The rest is common sense and experience which an expensive course won't provide.

ThatDudeNick likes this.
  8. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

That thought crossed my mind, as I know places like b&q, wicks etc usually sub out work for fitting services. Dry lining if working local the normal day rate is £120 so it be on par with what I earn already and i'll be happy with that so that's good to know I can already get my usual rate.

9. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

I've had experience making a bespoke kitchen in the joinery shop but we had separate joiners and carpenters so it was rare that I went out on site to fit. Although I did do alot of my kitchen myself minus the worktop. And that was okay didn't run into any problems. So it makes sense in what you saying.

I guess I just wanted a bit of confidence in cutting the worktops and maybe learning a few tricks or tips that I haven't come across to make me more efficient. Plus the electrical side of this course sounds like an added bonus right?

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Personally I think a kitchen fitter or skilled craftsman should stick to his trade and let the electricians do the electrics.

How many electricians install the kitchen cabinets?

seen it all before likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There's a lot of work involved in doing a kitchen, as all the trades come into play here.

I don't think you can learn electrics in 10 weeks and be qualified afterwards.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

£23,000 seems quite low for a house?

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Depends on where it is, some areas you can buy the whole street for that. :D:D:D

As for homes under the hammer, if it was as easy as they make out, the male presenter wouldn't have got into financial troubles !!!!!!