Advice on a boiler that exploded with water!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BrianBest, Mar 11, 2015.

1. BrianBest

BrianBest New Member

Hi,

First time poster here and I am very ignorant when it comes to plumbing/boilers etc. Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place.

Just moved out of my previous flat. On the day the landlord was coming to inspect the flat, I was sitting watching tv and the boiler (think it's a combi, instantaneous hot water etc) spontaneously erupted with water. Litres and litres of it pouring out. A plumber later told me it was likely that there was a blockage somewhere in the building's plumbing, and as it was ******* rain outside, this happened. Said he'd seen it all the time with these boilers.

As the water was pouring out, I was panicking and tried turning some black tap/valve looking things under the boiler to try and stop the water, which didnt work. I then left these and continued to collect water with a basin until it stopped. Landlord is now claiming that I turned a valve, causing the pressure to sky rocket and have in turn ruined the boiler which she now has to replace with a new one. My question is, is that possible/true?

Sorry for long post! P.s. I also turned the boiler off as soon as the water started, if that makes any difference...

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Hi Brian welcome to screwfix, you've come to the right place because 2 people are talking rubbish, the plumber and the landlord,
    If the boiler was fitted correctly it would niether flood the gaff when it rains nor would it be possible to flood with over pressurizing , the boiler has safety failure devices which should spill out of the building should anyone over pressurize, and in my entire working life I've never seen a combi leak because a drain was blocked, o_O

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Landlord has used the same 'plumber' yeh right, for years, somat goes belly up and they hatch a plan........

4. BrianBest

BrianBest New Member

Thanks for both your replies.

tom.plum: Thanks for clearing that up. Is there ANYTHING I could have turned under the boiler to cause irreparable damage? I know I didn't cause the flooding, as I did nothing (so who knows what caused it!) But she is now saying that in my efforts to stop the flooding, by turning these valves or whatever they were, I have caused irreparable damage and she blames me for needing a new boiler. I don't know what I turned to be honest, just one or two black plastic things that looked like taps underneath the boiler!

Rulland: Yes, everytime she brought someone to the flat to fix something, be it a "plumber" or a "joiner", it quickly became apparent they were just a friend of a friend and were probably not professionals.

5. Hi Brian, if it all happened as you report, then you should have nothing to worry about.

Of particular importance, I think, is "I also turned the boiler off as soon as the water started, if that makes any difference..." - I presume you turned off the power supply? Good move.

As pointed out above, there is nothing inside the boiler that should be irreparably damaged by turning off the valves underneath (usually: gas, mains water in, CH flow and CH return and possibly a 'top-up' valve) - the pressure should not exceed 3 bar in any component inside as there is a safety discharge valve which opens at this pressure and dumps the excess water safely outside via a copper pipe.

The only part which isn't protected by this safety valve is the domestic hot water side, but you couldn't have shut that off anyway as there should be no valve there on the hot water supply.

Worth taking a photo of these taps so's we can see what exactly you've turned! Do you still have access to the flat?

Hard to know what 'blew' - boilers just don't tend to do that sort of thing. Any idea where the water was coming from - what part of the boiler? Was it from inside the casing, or from a pipe underneath? Did the water smell 'chemically'? Was it hot or cold?

Anyway, if the situation is as you described, you should be fine - your deposit is protected against malicious attempts to extort like this. Your landlord is probably hoping you'll simply accept you did something wrong and let them have the money. They won't succeed - they need to prove that you caused the permanent damage to the boiler, and they simply ain't going to manage that.

If they try, it looks as tho' this landlord needs reporting as he's clearly dishonest and is out to exploit his tenants.

Keep us posted - it's a fascinating one :)

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

hi brian, i would ask for a written report by a competent person! if the l/lords plumber is a heating engineer!!???

7. BrianBest

BrianBest New Member

This is all very interesting, I knew she was dishonest and a chancer but I hadn't realised she would lie to this extent. Unfortunately no longer have access to the flat so can't take photos. The water was coming from inside the boiler (but i did not open it up to see exact source as I was, perhaps foolishly, a bit scared of electrocuting myself or something! I do not remember if it had a smell, but it was quite murky water. Not as in brown, but water with a kind of dark/black hue. Just looked like water you wouldn't drink!

The boiler had been fine for the previous year we'd been there, and she then had a "plumber" in the week before this incident to do something to it (i dont know, something about an upgrade, i didnt pay much attention!). This is the same "plumber" who after the accident claimed the BS lies about a valve being turned by me/my flatmate and irreparably damaging it. Now seems very suspicious.

She has been increasingly difficult to get hold of, filled with false promises and avoiding questions. Fortunately she is very unintelligent (In our correspondence she can't even spell my name right) and I have set a date by which if I am not reimbursed I will take her to court. I would just much, much rather do it the simple way and not have to go to court...!

Edit: i'm fairly sure the water was cold
    Final edit: I did not turn off the power at the mains, I just turned off the switch on the boiler...hope that's still worth something!

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Unfortunately but true, 99% of landlords want the rent but give minimal in return, DA and Tom have given an unbiased view, that is fair, and that also shows that in reality no matter what you did subsequent or prior to the leak was your fault.
    You removed power to the boiler, it doesn't matter if you turned off at boiler or killed the whole house tbh, you did the right thing.
    The landlord hasn't a leg to stand on Imho mate.

BrianBest likes this.
  9. You were right not to remove the boiler cover.

You turned off the boiler switch - cool.

The water was cold? Were your radiators running? The darkish black/blue tint suggests 'system' water, the water that's sealed inside your boiler and radiators and goes round and around... (And that colour also suggests a system that isn't well maintained - ie, it's full of oxides from rusting rads...)

Perhaps she's suggesting you accidentally turned on a tap instead of offski? If the tap you turned was the 'top-up' tap and you did happen to turn it on and not off, then that would allow more mains water into the boiler system. However, this should not under any circumstances cause the boiler to blow! If you had turned this tap on earlier so that the system pressure was rising, then all that should have happened was that the safety valve would have opened and emptied out the excess. And when this happens, you often don't even notice - it just happens quietly...

So, no - you couldn't have done anything to cause this damage.

My mum-in-law used to regularly over-top-up her boiler when the pressure dropped, and also would sometimes not shut the valve off properly afterwards. All that happens is that the pressure goes up to 3 bar and the excess is dumped outside. The boiler should be able to handle at least 10 bar without issues, and if your boiler managed somehow to get to over 10 bar, then it was dangerously faulty before and you are lucky it didn't really blow...

So, even if you had turned on a tap and left it running, this burst should not have happened under any circumstances.

So, stick to your story - watching TV, bang, and water. You turned off the boiler switch and also some taps underneath. End of...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
    BrianBest and Rulland like this.
  10. BrianBest

BrianBest New Member

Thanks again for all your responses. The radiators were off, as they had been for several days. I had also not used the shower (lol) or any hot water from taps that day. Not surprised if the system was poorly maintained. The maintenance she chose was based on the lowest possible quote, no matter from who. I do not know what tap she is suggesting i turned, she just referred to it as a valve (or value, as she can't write.) No matter what I turned, I turned off the water mains tap within 10-15 minutes of the leak beginning. So i fail to see or think that any subsequent damage to the boiler was my fault. It's all very difficult for me to argue over the phone with her as I am very ignorant on the subject of boilers/plumbing.

I am sticking to my story, and feel fine in doing so as I know it's the truth. Is there any situation where there would not be a safety valve in the boiler to deal with increased pressure? Eg. the exit to the release is blocked up, or perhaps the boiler doesn't have this safety feature? (or do all boilers have it?)

Thanks again for all the replies. Very informative.

11. BrianBest

BrianBest New Member

I would also like to ask, as I could possibly shoot her down with this:

If the boiler was off within a minute of the leak, and I never turned it on again before I left...Would the boiler being off and the water mains tap being turned off make it IMPOSSIBLE for the pressure to rise to dangerous level? Like would everything being off put the pressure to 0? Or is this wrong? Thanks

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If this is a property that is let, the landlord needs to carry out a yearly CP12, also know as a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate.

13. Hi Brian.

The CH was off, so that explains why the water was cold. It was almost certainly 'system' water due to its colour - the water that's sealed inside the boiler and rads.

And the simple situation here is, something inside the boiler 'blew' with no advance warning. We cannot work out from here what that part was, or what caused it.

The 'safety release valve' is a feature on every 'sealed' boiler like yours; they all have it. And if it is forced open by rising pressure (which is quite a common thing to happen) then the excess water (usually hot...) is directed safely outside where it cannot cause any damage or scald anyone.

The fact that 'your' boiler leaked all this water inside the boiler itself suggests that either a pipe was loose (say that safety discharge pipe) or else it was another component that burst. Either way, sod all to do with you...!

Either 'your' boiler blew because the pressure inside increased for some unknown reason, or because it just 'failed' for an equally unknown reason. In the former case, the safety valve should have tripped to stop the pressure rising beyond a safe 3 bar. This is the worse of the two scenarios; if the pressure increased but the safety release didn't do its job - that's really quite scary. Imagine if the system was running and the water nearly at boiling point when this happened?

Turning off the mains water means that the boiler would have stopped leaking after a few minutes - the system water would have leaked until the pressure dropped to zero, and there would have been no fresh mains water to top it back up (say if the top-up tap had been opened).

So, for future reference, turn off the power (there should be a switch nearby - but don't touch it if it's wet... Instead switch off at the 'fuse box') and turn off the mains water stopcock. No need to touch the actual boiler (but not a problem that you did).

BrianBest likes this.
  14. You mean after the boiler had blown and you left the house for good? Then - yes - turning off the mains water and the leccy power should mean that the boiler cannot possibly leak or 'blow' any more!

BrianBest likes this.
  15. BrianBest

BrianBest New Member

Thanks, Devil's Advocate. If by blown you mean the water flooding out, then yes. Timeline is: I was there > water flooded out boiler > i turned off boiler and mains/water stopped > i left > landlord claimed i had turned something to cause subsequent increased pressure after the flooding and ruined the boiler.

16. Your ll is a twit. Or worse.

She hasn't a chance.

What is the name of the regulating body that oversees deposits? That should be your port of call - you shouldn't need small claims or any of that.

I understand that the reg body gets a small amount from each deposit precisely to provide this service. Check it out.

(And report back - we love the more entertaining threads :rolleyes: )

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

just another thought, being a rented property the gas and leccy should be checked every year. Its obvious that who ever did the gas checks on theis boiler was't up to the job, :rolleyes:

18. BrianBest

BrianBest New Member

Thanks, guys. She is due to give me the deposit back this evening. If she doesn't, I will give her another 24 hours and after that I will make my intentions clear to fight her tooth and nail. Don't know where you're all from, but I'm in Scotland and here the landlord is required by law to put the deposit in a protection scheme. If they haven't, I could be awarded up to 3 times the amount of the deposit. They were also required to tell me within 30 days of the lease beginning which protection scheme the deposit had been put in, but they didn't, and i hadn't asked (as i didnt know about all this.) Have done some further research and if they want to take any money off the deposit then they have to get the deposit scheme to contact me and get me to agree with the reductions. Which I won't do. That's assuming she's actually put the deposit in a protection scheme. If she does want to make reductions I will ask her which scheme the deposit is in and then contact them. If she can't prove she has put it in a scheme and give me the name of the scheme then she will be truly ****ed, pardon my french!

19. Similar doon here - we have a deposit protection scheme. I understand the process is also similar in that if there's any dispute, the two sides need to sort it out with the deposit holder as mediator.

She hasn't a chance...

And, yes, if the LL hasn't put the money in an approved scheme she's on even shakier ground.

But - calm and reasonable 'cos you can afford to be. You'll get every penny back voluntarily or by legal 'force'.

20. BrianBest

BrianBest New Member

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you lot after your help. Good news, I got the deposit in full after it became clear there was no protection scheme. It was plain sailing from then...she said i'd lose it all and I'd receive a letter from a lawyer (she then realised she didnt have my address and asked if she could have it "to forward any bills that come"). I ignored her and the next day she sent the money! :)