Advice on Air compressors

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by David Kendall, Feb 20, 2015.

1. David Kendall

David Kendall New Member

Morning All,

I am looking for some advice on choosing an air compressor, I have been trawling the tinternet but I am coming across advice which isn't very relevant to what I want to use it for, so here goes:

I am an enthusiastic amateur woodworker, I build furniture for the house/garden and do general DIY nothing Pro or too heavy duty, I am looking for an air compressor that is specced appropriately to do the following:

Nailing: mainly brads, but occasionally framing.

Spraying: wont be spraying cars etc, just small pieces of furniture, doors, preservative on fences.

The compressor will probably be used a couple of times a week at most.

Not hugely bothered about additional tools, but it would be nice if the chosen compressor had enough ooomph in case I did want to add to my air tools, but main concern is nailing and spraying.

I have seen a lot of conflicting advice, some say that you need at least a 50ltr tank to even consider doing any spraying at all, others seem be of the opinion you can get on with tanks much smaller. getting a bit confused as to what I should be looking out for, any help greatly appreciated.

budget wise I would like to keep under £250.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I had that compressor which was powerful enough to run a lot of air tools and not too heavy to lift in the back of the van. Just bear in mind if some of your tools are hungry the motor will be running most of the time trying to keep the cylinder full.

4. David Kendall

David Kendall New Member

Thanks Phil the Paver and FatHands, that clarke tiger looks ideal.