Advice on boiler move

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Marious84, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Marious84

Marious84 New Member

Hi, first post so please go easy, I've been lurking for a while so know that there's some experienced plumbers on this forum. I want to move my boiler from my kitchen into my garage. Can anyone offer advice into the ins and outs of this and what it will entail.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ease of getting pipes to new location, gas supply especially, electric supply, the flue were will it be vented to?

Will most likely need a cupboard built around it, if in garage is unheated in winter, due to risk of freezing.

3. Marious84

Marious84 New Member

The garage is a new build so fitting pipes will not be an issue I don't think and the new location is only 2/3m away from old. My trawling through forums has led me down the path of using speedfit as I gather this is the easiest and cheapest method of joining pipes. Would you recommend I put a radiator in the garage to prevent freezing? As for the flue, I've been in touch with Worcester and they sell an extension kit.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probably easier to stick with copper, as pipes from boiler need to be copper for certain distance.

Joe95 likes this.
  5. Marious84

Marious84 New Member

Thanks very much for your advice. I've considered copper but I've never done any pipe welding. I've had a quick read of other forums and i believe I can use compression fittings? Does that include speedfit?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You need a gas bod to move the boiler, can't legally do it yourself, & he will use end feed fitting & soldered.

7. meady

meady Member

What make is your boiler

8. Marious, it sounds like (a) you plan to do this yourself and (b) you ain't really competent to do so.

I judge the latter on the asking of very basic information.

So I hope you plan to do the donkey work and get an actual GasSafe to finally connect up the boiler? Coool...

Anyhoo, in the spirit of being helpful, you can use copper or plastic, tho' copper is best for near-boiler work as it's wider bore and also totally heat proof.

Yes, you can use compression fittings no prob. Tho' solder is better - cheaper, neater and more reliable. But comp is fine.

DON'T run the gas pipe yourself.

Anyhoo, as said above, the main worry will be frost protection. If you build an neat insulated cupboard aroon' the boiler, ensuring it conforms with all required min dimensions, and then fit a frost 'stat nearby, the boiler should be fine; at any risk of frost, it'll fire up and keep itself warm.

The trickiest part will be the flue route - ideally you have access straight through an exterior wall? Cooool. But don't do this bit yourself either 'cos good chance you'll get it wrong and suffer a bad case of death.

Or prison. Or both.

KIAB likes this.
  9. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Like it "bad case of death" :)

Mariuos, go find a GSR who will advise you. If you want to do some of it yourself, I'm sure he will help.
    Moving a boiler is far beyond the scope of even an experienced DIYer, don't go there.
    It will also need to be re-registered with your local authority for Building Regs in the new location, so get someone in who knows what to do and save yourself a shed load of hassle.

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Very well put. Gas is one thing not worth messing with, leave it to the pro's.

How old is the boiler? Is it worth considering replacing it?

11. Marious84

Marious84 New Member

Thanks guys for your replies. To be honest I've looked at getting a mate in to do it but he wants too much cash. I've just been made redundant so saving money is what I need to do. My understanding is that I can fit the gas pipes myself as long as I tell council planning permission? I've spent the afternoon checking out YouTube on how to connect the pipes up properly. I accept some of the more "technical" aspects I may not be capable of, I've already lined up an electrician to connect the boiler to the mains. Also does it have to be registered even though I already have the initial installation certificate.

12. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Pipe welding!!!! ,it's called soldering!!!!

13. Marious84

Marious84 New Member

How do you weld a gas pipe that has gas in it, will it not explode?

14. Marious84

Marious84 New Member

Sorry solder!

15. nigel willson

ER we go , e wants too much cash!!!!. So what price do you put on safety then???? I here the foods nice in prison!

16. nigel willson

You don't professional ppl do!!!!

17. Marious84

Marious84 New Member

No disrespect Nigel but £500 for moving a boiler and welding a few pipes is scandalous. I don't put a price on safety but fairs fair, doctors don't even charge that much! And if I'm honest all the info you need is in the boiler manual that I've got, where to put it, how to fit it, step by step if it doesn't work!

18. meady

meady Member

And that question is why I expect to see a family has died on the news from a gas explosion soon (the family being yours)

If you do this yourself you are a complete and utter twit !!!!!!!

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Is £500 worth all your belongings, your house, and most importantly you and your family?

KIAB likes this.
  20. Marious84

Marious84 New Member

I just think that just because it's gas that plumbers shouldn't be pulling the old "safety" card and asking silly prices on the back of "safety" I know Gas safe guys who are as thick as mince and I would trust them to solder the water pipes let alone the gas. Let's be honest the job isn't too difficult, certainly not £500 difficult - can you honestly justify £50 per hour for your expertise. 20 years ago the going rate for a plumber was probably about a tenner!