Advice on chipped edges please - New kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Sian123, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Sian123

Sian123 New Member

Hello

We have just had a new kitchen installed by a major company, the bottom edges of the side panels do not have a clean edge and look tatty, when we questioned this a manager was sent round to have a look and he advised the best thing would be to use tipex to touch over chips, is this normal practise and acceptable?
    Thanks for advice in advance.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

No not acceptable at all as soon as the floor gets wet the side panels will "blow" the panels should be fully sealed at the bottom.

Sian123 likes this.
  3. Sian123

Sian123 New Member

Thank you teabreak, do you think they just need sealent run round the bottoms or the panels replaced then sealed?

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sian123 likes this.
  5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That manager was having a laugh with you. Firstly, anyone with a modicum of skill would not cut a board and have it come out like that. Telling you to tipex it, well, I can't think of any repeatable words for a response to that.
    Time to kick-ass.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Sian123 likes this.
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What did they cut it with a bloody chainsaw, that is a proper mess and needs changing.

Sian123 likes this.
  7. Sian, that's not good :(

For a start, the cuts should have been made along the top of the panels, and anyways it should have been done more neatly. It won't necessarily be a problem unless it actually gets wet, but it chust ain't good enough.

If that was a £400 cash-in-hand job done by a friend, then you might look past it and tart it up yourself. Done by a 'major' company at, I presume, major costs demands that these panels should be replaced.

They only cost them around £20 a piece and an hour's work; they have no excuse.

(You could always accept a few £undred discount and then sort it yourself with something like wot Teabreak suggests. But don't tell them that's what you're planning 'cos they'll probably do that themselves instead... Ie - it's acceptable for you, but not for them!)

Sian123 likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No way should you consider accepting work of this very low standard, was the so called manager sub normal or does he need to wear spectacles. Local media often works well.

Sian123 likes this.
  9. Sian123

Sian123 New Member

Thanks everyone, I didn't think it was right but it's good to have it confirmed. One of the managers is coming next Thursday to have another look so I will push to have all the side panels removed and replaced. (Although I'm not sure how easy it will be to remove the quartz worktop without damaging it or the wooden floor) We paid £3000 just for the fit and it took 2 men 2 days, so think it was a rush job.

10. THREE THOUSAND QUID FOR JUST THE FIT?!!!!

OOOOOHHHHH MMMAAAAAAAA GAAAAWWWDDDD :(

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Around a grand is more like the figure usually ime.

12. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Like the Avatar Rulland, certainly would liven up the forum if it was a selfie:p:p:p

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Unfortunately it's only my apprentice pulling in some cables :cool:

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

:D:D:D Let me know if she needs help!

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

No worries, lol matey.

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I had a apprentice like this once, had to get shot, never got any work done.:oops::oops::oops:

17. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Ha Ha!!!! :p:p

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I doubt she needs a hand pulling!

Rulland likes this.