Advice on cleaning tools

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Don63, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Don63

Don63 Member

I'm currently tiling our bathroom and am struggling with how to clean tools between mixes of adhesive, in particular, what to do with the water used to clean in.

My current process is to clean the tools straight after use in a bucket of water. Then to add water to my mixing bucket and clean. Now I need to dispose of the dirty water - but where how do I dispose of it?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would just pour the water away at bottom of garden here.

Certianly wouldn't pour it down bath, sink, or shower, seen a few blocked traps were blockage was caused tile adhesive caked up.

But, some tilers can be real dirty sods...:eek::rolleyes:

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Don't put it down the sink :oops:

4. Don63

Don63 Member

Yup - definitely not going to put it down the sink as that I'm sure will be more trouble than it's worth!

I have been tipping it away in the garden everytime I mix. I've spent a day on tiling so far and mixed about 4 times, and can see that I've probably got another couple of days to go. All of this cleaning up is a pain and having to move to the garden everytime to dispose is tedious. I was hoping there was a silver bullet that would magically speed things up :)

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only diy here but when I've got similar dirty water to dispose of, that's been used to clean tools from cementing, grouting etc, if you can let the water stand in the bucket for a good few hours or overnight is even better, then all the sediment sinks to the bottom of the bucket and leaves the water pretty clean

The water can then be chucked over the garden or even down the loo. You will find that the sediment will stay nicely at the bottom of the bucket, then you can scrape it out, pop into a carrier bag (Gonna cost you 5 pence) then into your household rubbish sack

This relies on you having several buckets to use or either emptying each bucket into a large trug (think that's what they're called) again leave overnight to settle then you only have one container to empty and clean

Try this system, works a treat really

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Brilliant things Flexi Trugs.

7. Don63

Don63 Member

Thank you Dave - that sounds like a good plan!