Advice on dealing with window condensation

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Tenzin, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Tenzin

Tenzin New Member

Hi there,

I'm new here but have been stuck with a window-related problem that I haven't been able to find any solution to for weeks now. I'd ask the locals but experts are few and far between here, so I'm turning to the trusty Internet!

I live in the middle of a tropical rainforest, where there is 90% humidity. The days are extremely warm (averaging 38-39 degrees Celsius) with a lot of direct sunlight, while the temperature at night drops down to 22 degrees Celsius.

As can be expected in the rainforest, we have plenty of plants, some of them coming right up to our windows (which, in some rooms, is pretty much floor-to-ceiling glass panels).

To keep cool, we have airconditioning throughout the house. So the issue is that my windows keep fogging up. The condensation in some rooms is so horrendous that I might as well as tinted my windows, because they become that opaque.

I've tried everything to solve this from the natural homemade toothpaste remedy to Rain-X anti-fogging treatments. The toothpaste was useless and didn't make it through 24 hours. I've seen some mixed results with Rain-X; in some rooms, it works while in others, it does not and even then, only lasts up to three days. With up to 15 panels of glass per room, it's a little labour intensive wiping Rain-X onto the glass every three days.

I was wondering if anyone here has some ideas as to how we can resolve this issue. It's such a huge waste that the condensation on the glass prevents us from looking out into the trees to enjoy the view, but turning off the airconditioning isn't an option because of the sweltering daytime heat. Replacing our glass (single glazing) with double glazing isn't really an option either, due to the expense.

I would really appreciate your answers, or some suggestions. Being limited by budget (due to the number of windows we have), we're completely stuck for a solution at the moment!

2. Blimey - this is a variation on the usual condensation questions... :confused:

Usually condensation is controlled by ventilation and air movement, so your best is to install an industrial fan outside your house, aimed at a tangent to your windows.

Oakland+University+AAWT+Tour+on+June+17+2016+002.jpg

Good luck.

3. Then there are chemical methods, and these seems to exist in two polar-opposite forms; hydrophillic and h'phobic.

RainX is 'phobic, I understand, and this causes water to bead and run orf. You've tried this with limited success. The 'phillic methods are what's used in many 'anti-fog' applications and surfaces. What apparently happens here is that the tiny water droplets are actively attracted to the surface, overcoming the water's surface tension wot would normally make it try and remain in 'bead' form. Instead the droplets are pulled out in to a film and this coats the glass keeping it transparent - the water is still there, but as an even clear film. I guess it then runs off when the film gets too thick?!

So try a further surf for 'phillic chemicals you can try. I understand you can get many products from the likes of Amazon. (Oh, my... :oops: )

4. Where are you?!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now this is intresting.:)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Fit secondary glazing. Polycell make a kit and you just buy and fit the glass. It acts as sound proofing and the installation from another sheet of glass stops the condensation. I just got 6mm glass and fitted a runner top and bottom of window inside. Sanded edges of glass so it slides. Timber frame around. Never cost much and no condensation in the winter mornings although I fitted because of the noise from next doors car at 4am every day. Worked to

8. Tenzin

Tenzin New Member

Haha Malaysia! It's a fair bit warmer here than in most other places in the world, but I figured understanding how to deal with condensation is a case of understanding how condensation works...and well, we've not got that one sorted yet.

Thank you for your reply on hydrophobic and hydrophilic though, I'll start reading up and looking things up on Amazon :)

9. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'd recommend you get a cool roof going on.

If you have a flat roof, coat it with a highly reflective liquid membrane and you could offset a significant amount of heat gain and reduce aircon need.

10. I'd have thought that if there is a solution, then it'll exist where you are. Yours can't be the only apartment with air-con and single glazing.

11. Tenzin

Tenzin New Member

Thank you! I wish shutters and ceiling fans were an option but it's just way too hot in here, and shutters run the risk of snakes.

I've just had a quick scan of the link. Very technical but very, very handy too. I'll put some time into reading this later today. Thank you again.

12. Tenzin

Tenzin New Member

You're right, there should be local solutions...except ours is a bit of a unique situation. It's not so much an apartment, as it is a collection of buildings literally in the middle of the rainforest. Most locals in our nearest town don't find the need for air conditioning but unfortunately for me, I have a much lower tolerance for heat than most!

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  13. You think it's bad there?! Pah! You should have been in Devon a week back - phew... :oops:

cough

I suspect your only potentially realistic solution is a hydrophillic coating - this will break down the droplet's surface tension and make the microscopic droplets spread out on the surface making it effectively transparent. That's how anti-fog coatings work. RainX works in the exact opposite way, and you've tried this with only temporary results. Mind you, if you could find a 'better' RainX type product, that could work ok - tho' it'll look as tho' it's permanently raining outside :).

(I wonder if the reason that RainX didn't last well is because it's meant to dry out when applied, and yours probably wasn't able to? Since the stuff has a volatile base which evaporates quickly, this will actually have the effect of cooling the glass even more = more condensation which prevented it from adhering properly? You could try a test - clean a few square feet of glass, warm it with a hair-dryer until bone dry, and then apply the Rain X quickly while it's still warm and dry. See if that lasts better.)

As said above, secondary glazing could help, but I suspect it ultimately won't solve it since your outer glass surface will still be the coldest thing in the rainforest!

Waaaaaay colder than Phil's soul.

And that's stone, man...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
    KIAB likes this.