Advice on fitting surrey flange needed...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mack Eater, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Mack Eater

Mack Eater New Member

Attempted to fit surrey flange to hwc today, got the flange from here, along with a salamander pump. The flange has 1" male/female (adaptable) fitting. On stripping away existing 22mm pipework from from top of tank, found a male 22mm fitting - obviously this was no good to me, so removed this fitting also. The female fitting revealed also appears to be 22mm - the male 1" end of the flange is too big. Is it common for a hwc to have anything other that 1" male/female fittings?

(cylinder is approx 7 years old, sprayed with the green foam)

2. > The female fitting revealed also appears to be 22mm - the male 1" end of the flange is too big.

..unscrew this fitting from the cylinder...the s/flange will then screw-in ok

3. Mack Eater

Mack Eater New Member

thanks for your reply - but even when this fitting is removed, the opening diameter is too narrow to receive the s flange.

Just done some searches and it looks like indirect cylinders are usually supplied with 3/4" female hot draw off connection, which is probably what I've got...

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Not normally - usually tapped with 1" bsp.

Are you sure there is not a 1" x 3/4" bush in there?

5. Mack Eater

Mack Eater New Member

on stripping back pipework, it looks like a 3/4" to 3/4" connector, as in the middle section of a 22mm compression fitting (is that a bush?)- added maybe to get a male connection at the hot water draw off point.

There are no further parts I can remove from what I can see - looks like I'm left with a 3/4" female fitting.

Should I remove some of the foam to see if any further fittings lie underneath? Is it normal to do that?

6. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

You probably need a york flange which is female and will fit onto the male fitting.

7. Mack Eater

Mack Eater New Member

...looks like york flanges are all 1" female connection. I'm stuffed!!!

Maybe I'll have to revisit the essex flange option, although it looked a lot trickier to install, hence originally going the s flange route.

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

A bush is an internal reducer used to sleeve down a 1" bsp female tapping in the cylinder. It may be screwed in almost flush.

I would be very surprised if your cylinder is tapped 3/4" bsp instead of 1" bsp, but there again nothing surprises me anymore in this game.

9. Mack Eater

Mack Eater New Member

...it's definitely 3/4" female bsp on the hwc, even scraped back some of the foam to double check.

Phoned around plumbers merchants this morning, on the third call found one that stocks s-flanges with 3/4" male connection, which is a relief.

10. Mack Eater

Mack Eater New Member

...picked up a warix surrey flange in the end, 3/4" male bsp connection. All went smoothly fitting-wise. Now have nice powerful shower at last (been stuck with puny leccy one for years).

Thanks for the words of advice.