Advice on mains pressure hot water systems

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sib8292, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sib8292

sib8292 New Member

Hello experts

I currently have a conventional gravity system in my house and have been advised to consider getting it changed to mains pressure.

This is to get rid of power shower pumps which are noisy etc and give us a more reliable pressure through the house.

Having done a bit of research I find there are 2 sorts of system vented or unvented but I haven't been able to see what the pros and cons of each might be.

I've also been told that the cold water into the house and to the pipe work should be via a 22mm pipe rather than 15mm. Is that true?

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

You already have a vented system,mains pressure system is unvented and it does rely on a good flow coming in,but if the flow is poor this can be over come with an accumulator so there is always options.;)

3. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

An absolute minimum cold water pressure for any unvented cylinder would be 2 bar (measured at a time of peak demand) anything less and stay with the vented system is my advice - it's old yes, but also reliable!

A 22mm cold water supply would be ideal for an unvented system but by no means is it a necessity.
    Tappy,