Advice on new supply to outside buildings

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Johnnyg, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Johnnyg

Johnnyg New Member

I propose to feed a new unit in the garage with 5m of 2.5mm swa cable. From there another 15m of 2.5mm swa to a unit in a shed with 4 double sockets and 2 x 10 w lights and then from there to a new unit in a cabin again with 2.5mm swa of 5m. This will have 3 double sockets and 3 x 10w lights.

All swa cable will be in 110mm duct approx 750mm underground.in the shed and the cabin swa cables will be connected to the units direct whilst the house swa will be fed by pvc cable of 2m . I have been told that as I have a fused supply in the garage it is not necessary in the shed or the cabin but I wont compromise so will have units all round. The only load of note will be a tumble dryer in the garage. The rest of the sockets are for convenience more than anything.

My query is this , will the 2.5mm from the house to the garage be an adequate feed? or will I need a 4mm swa?

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You don't say how you plan to feed the supply. From a spare way in the cu or off an existing ctt. in the house. If it's a spare way you can only use a 16 or 20 a breaker which might night be beefy enough for you plans if you use 2.5 mm. A 32a would be ok on 4mm. You could only use a 13a fcu if it's coming off an existing ctt. You will also need to consider what your going to do in the sheds with mini consumer units/fusing/RCD's etc. as you will need to provide discrimation. 6mm on a 32a breaker is more usual.

I think you need to do some more reasearch or get a spark in.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Johnnyg

Johnnyg New Member

spare way in the house, new 5 way board in garage, new units in shed and cabin, my main concern is the size of the house to garage feed. As I said the only real load will be the tumble dryer. Reason being garage is currently fed by 2.5mm swa as a spur from the kitchen. Even if I didn't have the shed etc I would still want to get rid of this.

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

johnny - you also need to consider earthing and bonding arrangements.

5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

. .not to mention EIC on completion (not forgetting its a new circuit from the DB so that's notifiable as well to LABC) (but I guess you have phones them eh?)

cause that is how its done by an Electrician

and forget the old chestnut of ill get it tested by a sparkie as well

6. Adyking

Adyking New Member

Just signed up need advice on power to garage not connected to house. Previous owners ran 2.5 cable at high level on catina wire inside conduit. Wanna change this to 6mm. Can I use a junction box and spur off shower supply. If so what spec box. I have a new 2 way breaker to install in garage and intend to supply sockets for power tools and lighting.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

No. If the shower circuit is still in use for a shower, then you CANNOT use this to feed your outbuilding too.

8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Why are you asking how to carry out a professional installers job, your way out your depth, leave it alone mate