Advice on ovens needed please!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by C4clair, Feb 24, 2015.

1. C4clair

C4clair New Member

Hi

We are moving into a new house, that already has kitchen fitted and a space left for freestanding oven. However, we would like to fit two electric ovens into a tower unit to the side of the existing units, and fill the current oven space with an additional cupboard with hob above (we'll replace worktops too)
    I have no idea whether the power supply currently available is adequate for this though, I've attached a picture, the oven/tower unit will go in the gap to the left where there is a double and single socket currently, there also appears to be a cooker switch and a blank by the gas.
    I'm not sure whether both ovens can be plugged in, or whether the sockets can be changed for ones that the ovens can be wired into?

I appreciate its impossible to say for definite without seeing the fuse box etc, but I'm just trying to get an idea of whether it's possible before I start ordering things ready for moving in. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks ☺️

Attached Files:

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi,
    What ovens are you planning to install and what is protecting the cooker circuit (photo of the fuse board would help)

3. Samuel Eaves

Samuel Eaves New Member

My advice is to consult with a professional electrician. These things are tricky and the whole wiring should be inspected. If the wiring is okay you can change the sockets and even put a new one if needed.

Best Regards
    http://www.electriciansinlondonanduk.co.uk

4. That's good advice.

What do we have on here? Oh yes - professional electricians... :p

C4clair likes this.
  5. C4clair

C4clair New Member

6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

i would say, get the keys and go from there otherwise its all if's and but's. You can have whatever ovens you want just bear in mind you may need additional work before getting them switched on.

7. Claire, as Fats says, until the wiring is looked at we are merely speculating.

However, a couple of points; if you stack a pair of single ovens one on top of t'other like wot I think you are proposing, I think there's a fair chance the top one will risk overheating - they need good ventilation from behind, and the top one might possibly be getting hot air from the one below...

That's all 'might', of course.

But I bet that if you contact the manufacturers of single ovens and ask them if it'll be ok to fit one above another in the same unit and sharing the same ventilation space behind, they will say 'Non'. I mean, it might be ok in practice, but they won't take the risk of saying so. So it would be at your own risk to do this...

So, please instead consider a beeeg double oven.

And - a bit of probably good news - if you go for a double oven, then almost certainly the current wiring will be adequate. All it'll need is for that cooker outlet to be moved to the oven housing side, and a FSU or single socket to be moved to provide the sparks for the hob.

Peasy.

8. C4clair

C4clair New Member

Thanks for this.

I've been told by howdens who will be supplying the housing that there are no issues with stacking two ovens but I appreciate manufacturers advice may differ.

My issue with a 'double' built in oven is that it is in reality only a 1.5 oven, which I could have as a freestanding in the current space and save myself what is seeming like a lot of hassle now...

All advice much appreciated ☺️

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I don't think there is any problem with stacking two single ovens. I'm planning to do similar with an oven and a combination multifunction oven. There is nothing in my installation instructions that warns about this, and a quick google shows many sites providing housings for stacking 2 single ovens e.g. http://www.unfitted.co.uk/browse/TALL-OVEN-HOUSING-CUPBOARDS-TWO-SINGLE-OVENS. I also cannot find any web warnings that this is not practical. I think this is a good idea because 2 ovens is very handy. You don't say whether the hob is gas or electric. I notice from the specs that the oven you are looking at needs a 13A supply and the installation recommends each is on a FCU. If the hob is going to be gas, then I expect 99% there is already enough power available from the existing cooker circuit for the two ovens, if the hob is also going to be electric, you definitely need to get someone to check as the combined total may be too much for the supply. I am only DIY, so take others specific advice. You are doing something different to just slotting in a free-standing cooker, which is what it is currently supplied for. Safest and best way is to get a qualified electrician in to move the outlets to the correct position and convert to what is needed.

10. Cool, Claire and Simon - that's good news about 'stacking'.

And if each oven is rated at 13A, then almost certainly the current wiring and setup will be fine IF the hob will be gas; the supply is surely bound to be 30A plus.

And you'd be nuts not to make the hob a gas type. (Electric hobs - yuck...)

But, of course, you would need that confirmed.

Looks 'all good'. :)

11. C4clair

C4clair New Member

Thanks, this is starting to look a bit more promising!​

Will definitely be a gas hob, I'm with you that electric is yuck!

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

as a foodie +1

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Electric hobs are yuck ......................You're all totally mad and out of date tbh

I've got a 5 spot Neff Induction hob and its the best bit of kit in the whole house, let alone the kitchen
    I could write a list of at least 20 points why induction is the best hob system on the planet but not had my dinner yet (gonna be cooked on the induction hob of course)

Seriously though, if you would like a few main points of its superiority over gas, please just ask, Claire or anyone else

And if you start by saying "but don't you need special, expensive pans to use on those hobs" well yes to a degree but no, doesn't have to be expensive and you don't have to have the pans shipped in from Mars or somewhere equally exotic

Go induction...............You wont regret it I promise (simon.....you sure your a foodie mate) ?

Risteard likes this.
  14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Totally familiar with induction and agree definitely the best of the electrics, but I'll be sticking to gas thanks.

15. Oi, Dave - wrong forum, mate.

Stick yer foodie comments on Screwfix's 'Culinary' Forum.

Thank you very much.

Anyways, did you hear about the lady with her brand new induction hob and brand new copper bracelet? Complete amputation at the wrist.

Ok, I made that up.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

i've worked with induction and gas and it's gas all the way.

DIYDave. likes this.
  17. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

No. I have an induction hob and it's 100 times better than the gas hob that it replaced. There is no comparison. Induction every time.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

we will have to agree to disagree.

19. READY>>>STEADY>>>BAKE :)

I'll judge.

Yummy.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheers DA. but couldn't find the "culinary forum" ,although that may be an idea for the mods to consider

A bunch of guys (mainly) on here swapping recipes - just nobody mention a "sausage fest" :p

Now that lady with the copper bracelet, probably meant as a joke but you do know DA that copper won't work with induction don't you ??

Works by magnetic energy (very basically) so any comparable items need to have a ferrous content

Come on DA , didn't you teach tech design in a former life :D

Still the best hobs - end of ......
    Until they go wrong then that is gonna be painful on the wallet