Advice on Travertine tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by swank, Apr 8, 2017.

1. swank

swank New Member

Hi,

I have just had 40m3 of travartine tiles laid in opus pattern in my kitchen. The tiler was arranged by my kitchen fitter. Can somebody please give me some advice on sealing and what is the norm. The tiles were sealed individually before they were laid with 1 coat of lithofin impregnator. How many coats are recommended and should they be recoated again along with the grout?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what you guys do normally.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would use Lithofin or BAL sealers, with Travertine you want something that will soak into the tile rather than sit on top. Be prepared for a little colour change once applied

3. swank

swank New Member

HI thanks for your reply, how many coats would you recommend and when? Ive read advice to leave them a week untill sealing them again to ensure any retained moisture from grout/adhesive has gone? Also is it advisable to seal grout with lithofin, its the BAL jasmin grout that has been used.

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Seal twice before grouting, and seal again when grouted. As with any natural stone, they will need periodically re-sealing. That will depend on usage.