Advice on washing machine waste – horrid smell

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Luke1985, May 23, 2017.

1. Luke1985

Luke1985 New Member

I’ve recently bought my first flat and when I opened up the washing machine there was water in it and a really rotten smell. It was an old washing machine that I was going to replace anyway which I have but I still get the nasty smell when I run the machine. After doing a bit of reading it looks like it’s an issue with the waste pipe/under sink trap.I’ve attached some pictures of my setup. The waste pipe runs behind the dishwasher and into the trap underneath the sink. Is there an issue with this setup which could be causing the smell? The washing machine waste is the dark grey pipe.
    20170523_224357.jpg 20170523_224528.jpg

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Put some washing machine cleaner though. Some say run machine on hottest wash with a bottle of white vinegar in it. Kills all the bacteria. Look up on net but your setup is ok I think.

3. Luke1985

Luke1985 New Member

I should add that I tried to run the washing machine's deep clean function which is a long 2 hour wash. After about 30 mins the drum was full and the water started leaking from the door. So I assume there is some sort of issue with draining/water coming back into the machine.

4. Hi Luke.

There doesn't appear to be anything obviously wrong with that setup - the height of the hose connections on to the under-sink waste pipe look to be fine.

So, if your W/M ain't draining properly, I guess it's down to summat like:

1) The W/M is faulty - weak pump.
    2) A kink in the hose - they do look as tho' they have extensions on them, which won't help.
    3) A block/restriction in the under-sink waste (does the sink itself drain quickly?)

I'm guessing that the dual-connector shown has a divider in the middle so that the waste pumped out by the D/W doesn't flow straight in to the W/M hose?!

I'd undo all the white pipes under the sink - they are all dismantleable. See if it's clean and free-flowing.

If you disconnect the hose where it fits on to the spigot under the sink and divert it in to a bucket, you should be able to test it on 'drain' setting - but ensure the hose goes up as high as that spigot before then pointing down in to the bucket.

5. Luke1985

Luke1985 New Member

Thanks DA. The sink drains fine. I'll try taking apart the white piping to see if there is anything causing a blockage. If that doesn't work I'll have to remove the dishwasher to see if there are any kinks in the hose.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

From what I know about washing machines, the waste pipe should go straight up from the bottom of the machine and not go down and up again. The ideal route yours should take is up, straight along(slight slant down) then down into the outlet. Not as it is(in at the bottom, up, over, down and up to the outlet). From that outlet, all water from the machine to that point will drain back into the machine when the pump stops. The pump may even have trouble pumping it like that.
    Also, the w/m outlet at your sink downpipe is lower than the water level that exists inside your sink trap and pipe. The w/m connection should outlet into clear pipe, but here it will outlet into the pipe's trap reserve.
    If the w/m outlet connection is not one way, your sink water will fill the washing machine.

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

In the second picture it appears that any waste discharged from the sink would make its way into either the dishwasher or the washing machine by gravity, compounded by the fact that the appliance union appears to be level with or slightly below the u-bend outlet. I see this quite a lot and it is simply rectified by rotating the appliance inlets and raising the level of the uppermost bend in their hoses.

Strangely, that would appear to be what exists in the first picture. Am I missing something?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Mr. Handyandy

9. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, Sorry to hear of your smelly washing machine, but at least you have traced where the smell is coming from. At home it took a while to trace the smell.
    Water coming from the door suggest the door seal needs replacing, not a job I've done, I've heard mixed views on the successful nature of this exercise.
    Check that stale waste water is not back-draining into the machine from the other appliances.
    Make sure that no water is in the washing machgine drum, then run the dishwasher once or twice, has the washing machine drum started to fill ? Fill and drain the sink a few times, again does the machine drum fill with waste water. If so the plumbing needs investigation. (This was the problem at work).
    The door seal often traps gunge in its folds, clean carefully.
    We had to resort to a hot wash to clean the washing machine at home together with a clothes bleach, in a pink tub from Wilkos. Used a double/triple dose, certainly helped. Also then did a hot wash with a generous, ½ bottle, of disinfectant, nice pine smell afterwards !
    Best of luck.

10. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

I meant to add, that the grey waste hoses / white waste join needs to be swiveled upwards to combat gravity, with waste water flowing back into the washing machine, as Handyman and WillyEkerslike has suggested.
    I prefer separate waste pipes to outside for each appliance, but may be difficult to implement.

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You've also created a U bend in the wash machine hose as it wraps around the 40mm white pipe

As above, angle the spigots upwards and route the pipe so it drops down into the spigot. The hose often comes with a plastic bend that clips over pipe to give a nice gentle bend

I'm guessing that the U bend in waste pipe is full of crud which then breeds bacteria and smells

Lot more smelly washing machines and wastes these days as our machines and detergents have been formulated to 'work' at much lower temps. This may help to save the planet ? But can lead to bacteria build up, mould and smells forming. Do you use liquid or powder detergent out of interest ?

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Could be the pump jammed with something or just worn out. If it's pumping a little it's probably worn out. Can be an easy ish fix.

14. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

New machine Wayners (and others)

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You can buy a waste extension from screwfix cheap so you can possibly find alternative source to vent water, as that way you can see it pumping ok. It's just a push fit pipe. If it don't pump properly you can investigate or get a warranty repair

16. Luke1985

Luke1985 New Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. The washing machine is brand new and the previous one had the same issue so it shouldn’t be problem with the pump.

Before I went to bed last night I opened up white pipes and the part which the dishwasher and washing machine hoses connect to had quite a lot of **** in that would affect the flow of water. I’ve cleaned it all out and will run a test wash tonight. I also popped into Tesco at lunch and picked up some Dettol washing machine cleaner so will run it with that.

I’ll also turn the two hose pipe connectors the other way so they are facing upwards, as suggest above.

The Non Return Valve looks interesting so may pick up one of those too.

17. Mr. Handyandy

The connection is still in water constantly at the height of the water in the trap! This means your pump is pumping into water rather than empty pipe. This is harder work for the pump. And if there are no non-return valves, you certainly get sink water filling the washing machine and dishwasher.

I'd change the layout of the pipes. The washing machine waste should come in at the top of the unit and down to the outlet only. The downpipe from the sink should come down lower, get rid of the grey pipe to outside and take the white pipe out the wall where the grey goes out.

Your water levels will be right then.

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I don't think I've read anybody say this but here goes.

The section in the blue circle is a AAV and has been block off to stop it leaking, it should be upright with the unblocked slot at the top and a u bend under it.

2017-05-24 20.55.43.jpg

You can see the hole in this one.

zTt80.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. Mr. Handyandy

Spot on. Whole lot needs moving/changing.