Advice plasterboarding single brick walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Martyindigo, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Martyindigo

Martyindigo New Member

Hi folks...first time poster here, and no building experience...
    I have a single block garage which I'm hoping to convert into a little drum studio..
    I got a carpenter in to put up the batens.... In line with the measurements of the sound board that will be going up, along with acoustic insulation in between....
    He then told me to call building control, to make sure all was good.
    I did that and they said id need a cert so when I sold the house all was in order.. Which is fine... But..
    They said they would call out to inspect the work at various stages.. They came out and immediately said the batens would have to come down as they are attached directly to the wall with no spacers or dpc...what spacers????
    So what do I do now?? The batens were put up with these bullet shaped things that spread when hammered, so I guess that's those batens done with?
    What exactly do I need to do??? Any help appreciated!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not sure why building control are involved.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As above, trouble is now they are you are stuck with them.

To save removing the battens already up, see if BC will let you put a vapor barrier over the top of them and then counter batten it to fit your sound boards etc. :)

4. Martyindigo

Martyindigo New Member

Don't know mate but said id need a cert... £60 if the work carried out cane to less than £2000.
    So the chipper totally screwed me, as bc said he should have known you shouldn't attach timber straight to single block wall...
    My main query is... Im gonna have to take all the timber off now.... Do i need to hang dpc from ceiling to floor??????
    And what spaces the timber from the block??????

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

BC required probably due to change to habitable room

bite the bullet, rip it all off - paint on DPC for the walls, membrane on the floor, warm roof (a proper one)

6. Martyindigo

Martyindigo New Member

Yeah I'm gonna rip it down....
    I didn't realise you could paint on dpc, that's great...any recommendations???
    It's a flat roof at the minute... With batens already there... I can't remove those surely?? Was gonna insulate in between??

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you'll have to be careful with the roof, do it wrong and you'll just get saturated insulation if you have it on the warm side before the vapour barrier - google warm roof, there's lots of detail dwgs around showing where the insulation should be in relation to the vapour barrier

same with paintable DPCs, or tanking compound

has the ceiling also been batterned by your ''carpenter'' ?

8. Martyindigo

Martyindigo New Member

has the ceiling also been batterned by your ''carpenter'' ?[/QUOTE

No the ceiling was already in place... Has been for years... It's an exsisting garage... 3 facing walls 1 attached to house...

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why is it a habitable room, who would want to live in a drum studio? If you insulated the walls to keep your car warm would you have to inform BC?

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

like it or not, thems the rules - one week it's a drum room, next it's a bedroom, then it's being knocked through as a open plan lounge/dinner

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

don't just rip the Pb off and insulate between the joists, it'll saturate and cause discolouration due to condensation - ideally you need to raise the hight of the roof by 150mm approx to allow for the insulation, the BCO will tell if there are any planning issues about doing that

here's a piccy showing what to do, and what not to do to your roof

[​IMG]

Martyindigo likes this.
  12. Martyindigo

Martyindigo New Member

Pb???
    So it'll have to be done the cold roof way there...don't have the means to raise the roof for the warm roof...

13. Martyindigo

Martyindigo New Member

Great help so far thanks a million!

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

plasterboard - you don't have to raise the roof, the hight (externally) is raised - the insulation is in place on top of the existing

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

another point to remember (before you set your heart on the easy cold roof option) is that cold flat roofs are now not compliant to Scottish building regs, I'm sure you lot will eventually catch up - banned simply due to their poor performance and condensation/breath-ability issues previously mention

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or you could tell BC you had decided not to go ahead with the scheme and then do what you want, you may or may not have to rip the sound proofing out when you try to sell the house but...

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sean, way ahead of you in Stevenage, flat roofs are banned period, no flat roofs on houses at all, been like that for years..:)

18. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it's a shame they didn't apply that retrospectively, good on em thou

19. Martyindigo

Martyindigo New Member

Ok so my choices so far... Roof not withstanding... Are..

Tear down the batens
    Paint dpc
    Recut and reposition batens
    Plasterboard and insulate

OR

leave batens on
    Cover with vapour barrier
    Re bateb over the top of exsisting batens
    Plasterboard and insulate

What would YOU do??

20. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

well, there'll be 10 differing opinions of how to do this task on here - your best bet would be to ask your friendly BCO how he'd do it (at least then there's a fair chance that he might actually sign it off)