Advice please: damp under kitchen sink

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Andycdesign, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Andycdesign

Andycdesign New Member

Hi, I'm after some advice on a damp area in the unit under my kitchen sink (pic attached). As you can see, the damp area peaks around the middle, and the bottom of the panel is much damper than the top. Also, the damp area actually stops just short of the central hole where the waste pipe exits, so I don't think this is the culprit. There is a tiny, tiny amount of seepage from the stopcock (bottom left), but the dampest area is a long way away from this. Finally the concrete floor under the unit is bone-dry, as is the plaster wall behind. I suspect condensation- do you guys think the pattern of damp is consistent with this? The kitchen is cold and not that well ventilated, and this cupboard was jam-packed with junk! That said, would condensation occur at this time of year? Or do these cupboards retain damp for months?
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The pipe from the stopcock up to the tap will have a bend in it, is that bend a coupling or a bend in the pipe, if a coupling it looks as if it will be where the main damp area is, so could have a tiny leak, that or the leak on the stopcock may be running down the pipe to the lowest point before dripping off onto the unit causing the damp at that point.

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

looks like a leak to me. only a small one though. is the unit base shelf blown - that is feels lumpy towards the back?

4. Andycdesign

Andycdesign New Member

Thanks for the reply. The pipe from the stopcock to the tap is behind the back-panel so I can't see. But if there was a leak here it would drip down behind the panel onto the concrete floor below which is bone-dry. And I'd expect the damp to be worst on in the left corner if it was the cause, not the centre? Not sure if it's clear from the photo, but everything above the shelf is completely dry, which is why I've ruled-out a leak from the sink or taps....

5. Andycdesign

Andycdesign New Member

Metro: yes, very slightly blown at the back.

6. Hi Andy
    Can you take a couple more pictures from different angles?
    Time to start trouble shooting.
    Wrap your finger round every joint (including the waste pipes, which is what I suspect in this instant) to see if you get a line of water.
    When you do, just to make sure, then look "up" to make sure its not a false positive, check to see that its not a leak from above where its wet.
    You can rule out condensation but maybe an old bottle in the cupboard was leaking?
    So difficult to say without actually being there

7. Andycdesign

Andycdesign New Member

Thanks Russ. Since posting, I have had the cupboard open to air it properly, but continued to use the sink as normal. Over the past few days it has dried out completely, which makes me think a leak is unlikely (and i have checked all pipes as you suggested). I'm starting to think it may have been a leaking container under the sink (there were a lot of bottles under there!) I guess if it remains dry I can rule out a plumbing issue.