Advice please on floor and wall tile spacing

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by diymostthings, Jul 13, 2017.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Just about to start my tiling for our (small) shower/bathroom refurb. Are there any guidelines for the size of spacers required? The floor tiles are ceramic 500 x 250 (matt) and wall tiles 300 x 200 (glossy). Or is it just personal "artistic" preference.

I have done a fair amount of successful tiling in the past but I'm trying to make a really good job of this - and didn't want to miss a trick - hence my question.

Thanks for any thougths.

2. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I usually go for 2mm spacers, but check the grout you are planning to use as it may specify a minimum gap

3. 2mm is very small.

I'm not at all saying it's wrong - it's a matter of taste - but the best thing I can suggest is to look at pictures of your tiles 'fitted' and see what they have.

Will the floor tiles have a contrasting grout line?

4. diymostthings

Thanks for that Rob_bv. Good thinking! i had no idea grout could be specified by the gap it has to fill. Thanks.

5. diymostthings

Thanks DA. I have tried to look at them laid out but can't decide. One thing I did notice though was that the edges are tapered - so a fixed sized spacer will give a different spacing depending on how far below the surface it is placed.
    I was going for white grout all round - although the missus says the floor ones all revert to black after a time!

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Either grey or black grout, white will get stinking before long and you'll regret using it.

longboat likes this.
  7. diymostthings

Ahh - That's what I like - confirmation of my thoughts be an expert. Grey it is then.

8. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

If the edges of the tiles are rounded then the grout joint will look slightly bigger than the spacing; to give you an idea, here's a bathroom I did a couple of years ago using a 2.5mm spacer on 600x600 tiles (same tiles on the floor as on the walls)

FB_IMG_1499976145475.jpg

:edit: Its a panoramic photo - the tiles are straight and level in real life, honest!

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If your set on white grout for the floor, then look at 'epoxy grout'

Downsides -

More expensive
    Limited working time
    Harder to use
    Harder to clean up
    Generally more faff, especially if this is new to you

Benefits -

Very hard grout
    Totally impervious
    Won't stain
    Doesn't harbour bacteria
    No need to seal

Not often used in domestic setting, maybe for a tiled kitchen worktop (if anyone still has that 70s look)

Often used in industrial workplaces, professional kitchen, manufacturing plants

If using grey grout, probably not needed but white.......... won't stay white for long unfortunately :mad:

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You can overcome this by sticking the spacer in endways ie. by using one of the four 'points' at 90º to the tile. Remove the spacers once the adhesive has set and reuse them again next time. There was a thread about this not too long ago.

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

12. diymostthings

That's stunningly beautiful.. I couldn't hope to get even near that quality. As for rounded edges, these ones are tapered so when butted, there is already a gap of about 1.0-1.5mm - so I think I will go for the 2mm spacers...

13. diymostthings

Many thanks for that detailed info. Food for thought. I might take a look at the epoxy versions before iu finally decide.

14. diymostthings

Thanks for the tip - yes that thread may have ben mine (getting old).

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

16. diymostthings

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Reusable,visible, hate the ones you can leave in the joints,they are are fiddly, sometimes hard to see if using a white tile.

Can't find much on youtube about them.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  18. diymostthings

thanks again Kiab - I'll take a serious look at those.

Kind regards

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If you are wanting the grout lines on the wall and floor tiles to line up, double check the exact size of both tiles. I had someone in to do my tiling, the floor and wall tile sizes were different by, I think, 2mm and he should have use different spacing (e.g. 2mm and 4mm) and didn't.

20. diymostthings

Thanks Dr. B - never thougth of that. I guess if you are a fraction out it would look bad but if well spaced it would look as though you didn't want to match the grout lines so would look OK. Thanks for the tip.