Advice please regarding splitting stair string

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Robotron, May 1, 2016.

1. Robotron

Robotron New Member

Hi all

I've come here for advice following the removal of an old staircase and installation of a new one in our mid 30's semi.

The old staircase was in a fairly poor state, the main problem being that the string had split - a few years ago we had somebody look at it with a view to rennovating the staircase, and when they saw the damage to the string, they told us that there was nothing they could do with it - "once the string is split, it's split" and they walked away from it. No amount of screwing/tightening it since has made things any better.

So we recently took the plunge to get the whole staircase replaced at considerable expense.

The joiner/builder has done a great job however, today, less than a week after the install was finished I've noticed that the NEW string is split (ironically, in pretty much the same place that the old staircase was split)! :eek:

I checked a photo taken of the staircase while it was still being installed, and the split is clearly visible - so the builder cannot say the damage has happened in the week after it's been installed.

I've attached the photo and highlighted the split in red - it's approximately 16 inches in length and goes right through the string.

You can imagine how disheartened I am, all the plasterwork has been done and I was cleaning up the woodwork with a view to varnishing it over the bank holiday weekend when I saw the split.

My question is, what are the options now?

I'm guessing the builder's going to suggest screwing up into the string to strengthen it, but in my opinion, on a brand new staircase that is not acceptable.

Surely the split's going to get worse, and before you know it we'll be in the same position we were with the old staircase - wonky newell and creaking treads.

Am I right in thinking the *proper* solution would to rip it all out and replace it all (again)? :(

Any advice *very* much appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Is bottom newel sitting on the floorboards/joists, this is what I would examine more throughly, might be some movement causing stress,deflection to the stringer causing it to split.
    Also if the newel isn't securly firm fixed,then the weight of a person on a tread would be enough to stress the stringer & split it.

3. Robotron

Robotron New Member

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.

Yes, the bottom newell is on the floorboards - but the split was present in the stringer during installation (as fortunately shown in the photo I took). The stairs are just over a week old.

Incidentally there's no movement at all that I'm aware of.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got some photo's of bottom of newel, floorboard area.

You might not even notice any slight movement walk down stair, laid down a level on floorboards in several directions, then get someone to walk down stair & see if their any movement.

Did a job years ago, where the joists in hall, they ran the length of the hall, were about 14' long, ended up build a pier under the joist, right where the bottom newel,as caulking against wall kept cracking due to some slight movement.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  5. Robotron

Robotron New Member

Hi, the stringer and newell are both on the floor. The floorboards are new, also installed by the builder.

I just got someone to walk down the stairs and no movement whatsoever.

What are my options with the stringer now?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would rule overnotching stringer, as you had on the previous stringer.

Have you caulked the gap on wall side, has it cracked.

7. Robotron

Robotron New Member

Not caulked it yet, no cracks, no movement anywhere whatsoever.

This staircase is brand new.

I suspect the stringer was split on the staircase prior to it being fitted, ie, when the builder picked it up from the supplier.

What I need to know is, what is the right course of action now? Replace the stringer?

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I can't see any crack. If its running with the grain its nothing to worry about. Wood moves constantly for a past time and when sawn or surface machined then new movement can occur.

Astramax likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Replace the staircase, must be a warrenty.

You could sister a piece wood on inside.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wood isn't seasoned properly today,most of it is all kiln dried now.:(

11. Robotron

Robotron New Member

The split is highlighted with red to show position and scale, it was difficult to see on the photo.

Tommy B likes this.
  12. Robotron

Robotron New Member

Here's the split, 16 inches long, right through the stringer.

Staircase is a week old. This split was present before installation was finished.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  13. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Nothing really to worry about. Timber does that.
    Some fillers and you won't see it.

Astramax likes this.
  14. I suspect it's nothing to worry about either.

A large plank of thick solid (not engineered) softwood like that is almost bound to have a split occur in it over time.

I would probably try and minimise it by asking the chippie to glue-and-screw a brace of some sort on the reverse, and then simply fill that crack.

Is it going to be stained or painted? Either way, I doubt very much that the filled crack will be visible, and I doubt it'll spread or become a structural issue.

And if it does, you are covered.

Astramax likes this.
  15. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sounds like someone who doesn't want to pay for the new stairs (or get a nice reduction in the price) ;);)

Astramax likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And lot of work of making good & redecorating if it decides to split a bit more.

17. joinerjohn1

Yeah, tell the builder you want another new one putting in at no cost to yourself (and you want your gaff re-decorating for nowt as well) ;);)

Astramax likes this.
  18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I fear that it'll crack further during the winter months, when the heating goes on.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It's wood!

Astramax likes this.
  20. joinerjohn1

Something lost on Handy. :D:D:D:D

Astramax, KIAB and CGN like this.