Advice please regarding splitting stair string

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Robotron, May 1, 2016.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It cups, it splits, it splinters, it....er does other stuff :rolleyes:

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Handy isn't used to getting wood,

CGN likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you see wood, jump on it!

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As one director said....can't remember the genre :rolleyes::D

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Fools, I'm saying it will turn NASTY when the heating goes on.

Nasty, ugly, unacceptable!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There's always caulk...don't leave home without it!

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep, should have gone with a custom made stainless steel staircase instead. :p:p:p:p

CGN likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just out of interest what wood is it. I.e redwood.

also what are risers and stringers?

Maybe order ing one soon.

9. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

If it was me, I would be changing it.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Me thinks someone is worrying far to much!:rolleyes:
    Fill with 2 part filler or Gorilla Glue.....job done ;)

12. Robotron

Robotron New Member

Nice theory, John, except I paid in full as soon as the job was completed. ;);)

So, fellas in the trade, am I right in thinking it's normal to install a pre-split staircase for a customer and have them just accept that 'wood does that' and cross their fingers that it doesn't get worse when you actually get around to using it? :cool:

13. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Looks like it was flat sawn through the heart wood.
    Had it been a plank laying on the floor it would have tried to "cup" slightly. And no crack would have appeared. Because its held with treads and risers then stresses occur.

Astramaxes solution above is a good one. My advice is use it.

14. Robo, I don't think for a second it's a 'structural' issue. Ie - it hasn't been caused by the staircase movement or stresses or lack of support or incorrect installation; it is an inherent feature of a long, thick timber plank. That it appears to be in roughly the same place as the old stair's crack is coincidental.

Will it get worse? Quite possibly - depends on what stabilising the timber still has to do. But I doubt it'll be significantly worse.

Will it cause loose or creaking stairs? I doubt it - tho' it might possibly cause that nearest tread to creak a wee bit.

Can these issues be sorted without replacement? Almost certainly yes. Something like a plywood patch on the back, glued and screwed. If a tread creaks, glue the damned thing too...

Is it an issue worthy of staircase replacement? I personally think you'd really struggle to win a case on that issue - I cannot see any impartial adjudicator agreeing with you.

Obviously it's a concern for you, and it must be disheartening with all that lovely new work. But I personally think it's fully sortable without replacement.

Armed with all the info from this thread, and any other research you've done yourself, time to sit down over a cuppa with the chippie. Listen to what he has to say, see if you are convinced by his reassurances of 'making it good' and guarantees about it not getting worse in future.

And then broach 'compensation' of some sort. I dunno - if he's done other work for you of which the staircase is only a part, then perhaps he can look to give you the stairs at near cost-price or summat (ie - he doesn't actually lose out, but also doesn't make anything on it?)

But, listen to what he has to say, and be fair-minded. You can always add your concerns about this crack on to the invoice and get him to sign it - y'know "Appearance of crack brought to builder's attention, with assurance of continued repair should it increase in size and full replacement should it become a structural issue..." summat like that?

15. Robotron

Robotron New Member

Thanks for a reasoned, well-thought out reply, Devil's Advocate - that's all I am after here, a second opinion from people in the trade who know what they're talking about, and if I'm perfectly honest, perhaps a little reassurance this this isn't all going to go t*ts up in a few months and I end up ripping the lot out again to fix it.

Getting into a dispute with the chippie (or getting 'compensation' / money off the job for that matter) is the last thing on my mind - I've already asked him to quote for 2 other jobs.

He's on his way around now (yep, on a Bank Holiday Monday) to have a look and that should tell you all you need to know about the type of person I'm dealing with. I'm fairly convinced the staircase has come from the supplier with the split/shake in it, and nobody (including me) has noticed it until after installation.

16. Robotron

Robotron New Member

Chippie's been round and reassured me that it's nothing.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Refer to post number 31.;)

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

19. Fab. Looks like you have a sound guy working for you.

No-one - not even Astra :p - can blame you, a layman, for being concerned, especially as your old staircase had a large crack in it too :).

Happy New Renovations.