Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. June Lane

June Lane New Member

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Apply the sealer as this will stop the odour then find a suitable colour later. If you like the Valspar colour you will be able to match it with a Dulux shade.

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I went to a call out a while back the tennant had 2 cats and odour made my eyes and throat bleed I had to walk out and leave apprentice on job if your houses are like that I'd take paint to valspar offices and throw it through window

cc01 and Toni park like this.
  4. Toni park

Toni park New Member

Astramax, 4 years ago my husband had a horrific accident which left him in a coma with a shattered skull 4 subdural heamatomas, both legs shattered from the knees down including feet, serious spinal injuries. He has been left badly disabled. I have to care for my husband and sick daughter constantly, I found out it was the paint on Friday night, on Saturday it took me two hours to ready everyone so that I could go out and buy the sealer, I looked for a paint match while I was out. I couldn't paint the sealer on today because every Sunday my father turns up with his wife who has severe Alzheimer's so that I can look after her and give him a break, this evening I couldn't paint the sealer on because I had to cook for my family and that includes cooking and delivering dinner to my mother in law who is elderly and has a bad heart. Tomorrow I won't be able to paint the sealer on because I have to drive my mother and husband and daughter to the hospital so that my mother can have her breast cancer pre op (she will be staying with me so that I can look after her) then on Tuesday I can't paint the primer because I have to take my hubby to London to see his surgeon and find out if they are going to give up and amputate his other leg. Finding time and money is not always easy for some people. Unless you are willing to come round and help me, don't judge

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I fail to understand where my post is judgemental rather than advisory!

cc01 and Niq niq like this.
  6. Niq niq

Niq niq New Member

Were you using V500? That's what I have and it stinks aftercare few days not on application. I have used valspar paint&protect product and it is brilliant, no probs.

7. Niq niq

Niq niq New Member

OK I have now sealed with Zinsser BIN, applied two coats of dulux..... then two more (sigh) as wasn't the right colour match.....wall smells of paint!! - hurrah!! Waiting for the heat to rise and we will see, but I am highly optimistic. Haven't heard back from Valspar so will call them today.

8. Niq niq

Niq niq New Member

My B&Q said take it up with valspar BUT gave a credit note for the paint.

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

No. Never used that ever! Thank god! Premium which is v700 and trade range is all I have used

10. cc01

cc01 New Member

Update- I have received an e-mail from Watchdog asking for further details as they would like to investigate this further due to the number of complaints!!!
    Please if you haven't already, send them an e-mail regarding this issue.

11. Niq niq

Niq niq New Member

HI what is their email please?

12. Pregnantlady

Pregnantlady New Member

Watchdog have been in touch and are interested in investigating this further after a number of complaints.

I have provided details. Awaiting a follow up

You can email
    watchdog@bbc.co.uk

Simon2412 and Mina Kha like this.
  13. cc01

cc01 New Member

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Firstly read post 185, secondly what area are you located?

Rima and Phil the Paver like this.
  15. Rima

Rima New Member

Hallo everyone. How is the cat **** group?

So I've had some progress in that I've spoken to Citizens Advice, and they'v forwarded this complaint to Trading Standards due to the implied health risk.

They advised that everyone call them and log the complaint. That we all call / email B and Q and Valspar and ask for our money back as well as buying the Zinsser BIN sealant Valspar have advised, and then to send those receipts / copies of the receipts to B and Q in the first instance, as that's who your contract is with, and claim it back. If you're having health problems, like my increased wheeze, to go and get proof from the Doctors. And finally to get a local, approved painter / decorator ( get a couple of quotes and go for the best value) to remedy the problem and again, charge this back to B and Q / Valspar. I'm just going to do this myself and I'll post on here the letter once I've drafted, as the lady from Citizens advice said there's plenty of sample letters on their website.

It just makes me so angry as I can't go anywhere upstairs as the smell is unbearable and god knows what it's done to my poor baby's lungs already!!!! Grrr.

Remember: Tell Watchdog and Citizens Advice 03454 04 05 06 and BBC Watchdog: watchdog@bbc.co.uk

Hope you're all doing this!

Niq niq, Pregnantlady and cc01 like this.
  16. Simon2412

Simon2412 New Member

We should not be doing this ourselves anyway. It should be down to valspar to sort it out !!!

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How long are you prepared to wait? Best advice would be to sort it yourself now and pursue any 'possible' claim later.

18. Touche

Touche Member

Hi Astramax. Just wondering why you are on this forum, advising everyone to cover up the paint as quickly as possible. Also saying 'possible' claim, implying that people do not have a reasonable complaint. You don't seem to have a problem yourself, so why getting involved? Some of your comments are rather insensitive, not to mention unhelpful also. Watchdog have actually asked if I would be willing for them to come and test the air in my room. Good job I haven't painted over and 'sorted it' and can say yes!

cc01 likes this.
  19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You folk are complaining about possible health problems, ok register your complaint but in the meantime seal the affected areas to eliminate the odour and prevent any possible health concerns, any claim of this nature will firstly have to prove the product is at fault, that could take months if not years. What comes first health or compensation! You are 1 in how many, somehow I don't believe Watchdog will visit everyone affected. Crown and Dulux had the same problems in the early 2000's so Touche, time to wise up!:eek:;)

20. Mina Kha

Mina Kha New Member

You may have a point but there's no need to be so harsh about it. Everyone has been affected by this paint issue on here. Not everyone can drop everything and paint a room- Most people won't. so as others have said stop being insensitive. It's their problem not yours!

Touche and Simon2412 like this.