Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

BBC WATCHDOG! ;)

KIAB likes this.
  2. Shedend33

Shedend33 New Member

Did tweet last night. Can see others have done the same. I'll happily go on there....(Unless I go into labour first)

3. Jemima Wade

Jemima Wade New Member

I have had the onion in the room overnight and I did clean the walls with baking powder, I am yet to see if it has made a difference. Will keep you posted.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Go with bin. Alkaline takes ages to dry. You want to leave that for days before top coating. Bin can be painted next day

5. CarolInCorsham

CarolInCorsham New Member

A new member for the Valspar stinky club ,
    Have just had the room reskimmed and primed,so no bacteria is lurking in the walls.
    We have the gas/pee smell emanating from the paint; the thought of repainting with odour blocking paint then spending yet more money to repaint with something less smelly...
    Valspar has a lot to answer for. They are not taking us, their customer, dealing with the problem seriously enough.
    In the end it will bite them on the bottom. BBC Watchdog beckons...

6. DIY doctor

DIY doctor New Member

Hi everyone.

My lovely decorated house smells of cat p*ss.
    Valspar , If your PR or external comms / legal team are reading this. Take note.

I would suggest you have the mix wrong with an unstable ammonia compound.

If your resident microbiologists can list me any wall inhabiting bacteria that produce ammonia as their biproduct when reacting to UV light, I am all ears. I think they may struggle. It's more likely you have messed up the paint mix. I think it is unlikely that your customers prepared their walls with faeces and feline urine before painting them.

I'll be writing to you, B and Q , watchdog and the health and safety executive.

Have some integrity, admit it's a bad batch and right the wrongs.
    For me, that's a professional decorator removing the old paint, and replacing with a differing brand such as dulux or farrow and ball.

Cheaper to do now before all the law suits for headaches, migraines etc start rolling in.

My advice, act now.

Rima likes this.
  7. Dannydj85

Dannydj85 New Member

Another for the cat p!55 club.
    My guests love coming to visit the stinky cat p!55 house.

I painted my WHOLE house with this valspar paint onto newley plastered walls.
    The smell comes when the weather is hot, my whole house stinks, this really isnt fair to have to put up with this!

What is everybody doing about this?
    Who are you contacting?
    Can i have contact details if you have them handy?

8. Fobio

Fobio New Member

Valspar paint stinks . Valspar / B&Q stink more . Duo colour walls Dulux walls ok , Valspar walls pong . Perhaps the microbes don't like Dulux paint ! Have decided no more Valspar ! If this was first covered in 2010 why is there no instruction from Valspar ? Go diydoctor .....

9. john c morley

john c morley New Member

We have the same problem. Painted lounge in May now stinks and giving us headaches. It has got much worse with the warm weather. I think we need a class action, where we all join together to take the same action using either watchdog, which magazine , or trading standards. I am sure we can't all have prepared our rooms wrongly, clearly there is a problem with the paint not being fit for purpose.

10. john c morley

john c morley New Member

Rima and KIAB like this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, things are going to get interesting.:)

12. Furious Paul

Furious Paul New Member

13. Furious Paul

Furious Paul New Member

Someone on twitter suggested getting some stickers printed up saying 'do not buy this paint - unless you like your room to smell of urine' and for everyone to visit their local B&Q and stealthily plaster them all over the Valspar stand to destroy their sales - quite like the idea and maybe then they'd take notice

Simon2412 likes this.
  14. john c morley

john c morley New Member

15. john c morley

john c morley New Member

I have spoken to citizens advice consumer help line. They have sent it to trading standards. They will only deal with individual cases at this moment in time.

You all need to ring this noonday complain. 0345-404-0506

The more complaints they get the more they can do to stop this. I am an old age pensioner and not very good on Internet. Please can someone who knows what they are doing spread the word and the telephone number on social media. We all need to ring this number as soon as possible.

Rima likes this.
  16. cc01

cc01 New Member

We too have had this exact problem!! Has been driving us crazy and is truly unbearable! Hall, stairs, landing and our lounge, so you can imagine the stink! Anyone aware of any health implications this stuff could have? I have 2 young children... I have just e-mailed Valspar customer services and copied in Watchdog, B&Q, and Trading Standards. Let's see what the reply will be....

17. Jojo1984

Jojo1984 New Member

Exactly the same thing with me and it's my 3 months old nursery so am very concerned regarding toxicity and therefore to get this sorted. I noticed a smell of cat urine which is worse in heat and sunlight. Over the last few days the smell from the nursery has become very strong. Interestingly I can also prove it is the valspar paint and not the walls as I have many different types of paint on the walls and just the areas with this particular paint have a noticeable stench, move just feet across the walk to a different paint and no smell. I'll be reporting this to the above mentioned links. This is obviously unacceptable and of courses I have had to move my baby into another room.

18. john c morley

john c morley New Member

Every one needs to ring this phone number as well. They document your complaint and then send it to trading standards the more they have the more they can do.

Citizens advice consumer help line. 0345-404-0506

19. CarolInCorsham

CarolInCorsham New Member

I've just been in contact with watchdog via the BBC web site. I strongly recommend you all do likewise, irrespective of whether you, be found a solution to the smell or not.

20. David Sutcliffe

David Sutcliffe New Member

Another one signing into the club. Nursery painted a couple of weeks ago with Valspar, first sign of hot weather these last few days and it stinks! Found this forum because we were googling 'Valspar cat **** smell' after we'd tried smelling everything else in the room... obviously your first thought in a baby's room is an errant nappy somewhere. Nope, it's out lovely new walls.

It can't be a coincidence that suddenly everyone gets really **** at decorating their house - has to be a bad batch of paint. We are going to be onto B&Q, Watchdog and Citizens Advice in the morning.

My wife reckons their twitter feed is blowing up with cat **** complaints as well...

Rima and Jojo1984 like this.