Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Simon2412

Simon2412 New Member

We have painted out downstairs hall,stairs and landing and we have exactly the same problem. The smell of cat urine from the paint is terrible. It's been painted about 4 months and the smell is getting worse

2. Niq niq

Niq niq New Member

Thank God I'm not the only one! Gas board out twice - speculated it was a dead rodent under the floorboards. I await the group lawsuit.....or the bbc interview....bring it on!

Simon2412 likes this.
  3. Rima

Rima New Member

Just in case you were wondering - our gorgeous baby nursery, unfinished, thank god - Imagine we'd painted animals on here then found out it stunk! Have moved the baby out just in case it's dangerous, have tweeted Valsparpaint UK and BBC Watchdog and will email trading standards in the morning. Just want a solution really!!

Attached Files:

Simon2412 and David Sutcliffe like this.
  4. Rima

Rima New Member

Will do this in the morning John don't you worry!

5. Simon2412

Simon2412 New Member

Y
    yep me too

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just thought about offering to seal and re-emulsion any room at a reasonable cost to any unhappy Valspar customers!..................Customer must use paint I advise though!;).... NOTE it will be real paint not cheap rubbish.

7. Touche

Touche Member

Yet another one joining the throng of irate people. I painted my two downstairs rooms last summer, very slowly and with great difficulty as I was off work recovering from being seriously ill. I have been searching the web trying to find why I had such a terrible smell of cat wee since the hot weather. I thought it was a new carpet I also bought at the time. Some sense of relief to finally know the cause but obviously seriously devastated to think that I will now have to paint over everything again. No chance of mold as an excuse on my walls as I had the ceilings plastered and had to spend hours washing the sealant the plasterers dripped all over my my walls with bleach, then 2 coats of the strongest fully washable vinyl paint, ironically trying to make them easily washable! I will be joining others in emailing Watchdog etc to complain and to seek compensation.

Simon2412 likes this.
  8. Touche

Touche Member

Interestingly, I cannot access the website at all. Seems to be a problem with it?? Wondering if connected to this situation. I have just added my own comments on my experience to this forum.

9. Touche

Touche Member

I am also going to be phoning. Also an 'older' member who has wasted valuable energy and time only to have to put up with an abominable smell!

10. Joanne Joy

Joanne Joy New Member

Another Valspar victim! I painted the lounge (fortunately the only room) about 3 weeks back. Have been enjoying it with no issues until this evening when I thought i smelt gas; the heat in the house has been stifling today and the windows wide open! It really worried me and I got the kids out of bed as it was so strong I thought it had potential to blow up!....the neighbours kept an eye on the kids and we got the gas man out immediately...he was completely flummoxed but assured us there was not a leak, he even put the gas checker thing over the hob to make it go off (I was worried his equipment might be faulty!). He told us it could be a dead mouse brought in by the cat so we spent the best part of the evening taking the sofas apart....to no conclusion.... Then my Dad called by and said it smelt like cats pee or a dead mouse..I just thought to google and found this forum! Then I noticed all the posts were really recent! I too will be emailing watchdog tomorrow! Glad its not a gas thing but Jeeeez! What I want to know is if repainting in a dulux or crown will be sufficient...or whether or not it will need more sealing/neutralising......will be checking out for solutions tomorrow...just glad its not the ceilings too...i only did below the picture rail. Oh man...I really loved my soft pelican (grey) and cup o custard (yellow) feature wall...until the bloody sun came out. A summer solstice I won't forget. Thanks guys...so glad I found this forum.

11. Touche

Touche Member

Lots of advice seems to be saying we should seal it first. They recommended Zinsser BIN. see here on Amazon, also available at B and Q https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...9&crid=262YYLLMDA7TH&rh=i:aps,k:zinzer+primer

I have used it as a wood sealer as it seals EVERYTHING - metal, plastic, wood. It is amazing and I love it, but it is expensive though and you have to get used to how quick it dries - think nail varnish you ladies! But if you miss a bit, it dries in 20 minutes so you can always touch up bits. The fumes are also extremely powerful and it is not really recommended for large areas. I will be seeking compensation for any expenses and also time to repaint. Don't know how successful I will be but in my view it is only fair.

12. Odette Meredith

Odette Meredith New Member

I am so glad I found this forum as I thought to google to see if anyone has the same problem. Pity I didn't read this before I painted my entire lounge and hallway this weekend. I painted my kitchen and utility with my usual Crown choice .... no smell, no problem.
    The smell in the Living room/hallway is disgusting. Like cat wee/dead animal. We have had headaches and left windows open to try and air it, but it is getting worse. We can't bear to sit in there. If there is a trading standards claim I am happy to be a part of it. I dispute the fact that it is my walls as the crown paint painted the same day is not presenting and issue and all the walls are the same age and in the same condition.
    If one is meant to seal and prime etc, this should be made VERY clear at point of sale. Not only has it been a waste of time and effort, but the consequences make a joke of £75 which was spent with as much care as trying to pick out the correct colour. I will never ever buy this paint again! Now I just hope that I can get rid of the smell

13. Touche

Touche Member

Sorry for any bad phrasing in my reply. I meant advice is to seal the smelly valspar to get rid of the smell, not to seal before using it. Still an terrible expense which should never have been necessary.

Odette Meredith likes this.
  14. Sue Hodgkiss

Sue Hodgkiss New Member

Hi, I've been smelling a cat pee smell for a few weeks now. We painted a bedroom & lounge with Valspar paint from B&Q & just realised it's the paint that stinks. I will be phoning citizens advice tomorrow. Anyone got any response fro Valspar or B&Q??

15. Rima

Rima New Member

Now I'm wheezing! Guessing it's the paint! So glad we moved the baby out! Will be on to trading standards in the morning.

16. Odette Meredith

Odette Meredith New Member

Sent email now

17. Sue Hodgkiss

Sue Hodgkiss New Member

Who have you emailed? I can't get on Valspar website??

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Other sealers are available, be very aware of BIN fumes in enclosed areas and anywhere near any source of ignition such as a domestic boiler.

19. john c morley

john c morley New Member

Thanks everyone this is what we need.

You have to go through citizens advice first to make complaint. 0345-404-0506

Then email. Watchdog@bbc.co.uk

Which@which.co.uk

The more complaints the better for trading standards. If anyone knows how to get this on the social media that will help a lot.

20. john c morley

john c morley New Member

Hi John again

Yesterday I put a negative review on valspars web site, and I included the complaints telephone number for citizens advice for other to ring and complain (shock as to how many more were on there web site). After this they seem to have shut the site down?