Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. cc01

cc01 New Member

It's so frustrating!!!! How can we be sure that there is nothing hazardous to our health being produced by these fumes? I couldn't sit in the living room the other evening as it was so strong. I know that the paint supposedly contains less chemicals that are bad for our health but if it is reacting to bacteria on walls surely it is possible that something hazardous is being created. We are not experts. We need experts to confirm this for us!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If anyone has some P!** paint left over, you could have it independently tested.

btiw2 likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

:mad: Annoying as it is the first thing to do is 'DON'T PANIC'. :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Touche

Touche Member

I mentioned in an earlier post here that I washed my walls thoroughly before painting. My rooms smell very strongly. I think the idea of 'bacteria' is just an idea created by Valspar to avoid taking responsibility for their paint and the reaction with heat that is happening. It is like suggesting that we are responsible in some way for the smell. Don't be taken in by this argument. It is ridiculous and they are just showing themselves to be unscrupulous.

Rima likes this.
  5. Joel Hard

Joel Hard New Member

Ahhh, finally! Now i understand. We painted our bedroom a couple of months ago and this weekend and early this week it has stunk. Anyone know if its harmful to health??

I called out the gas emergency guy and paid for an additional gas man. Let alone the 2 pots of paint, the time i spent painting, and the associated equipment. I want all that money back and it put right at no cost. I had my boiler off for 3 days and searched high and low for cat wee, dead mice, burnt out electric switches and sockets etc!! Il follow the advice and email B&Q and copy in all those mentioned. Valspars own website isnt working. I assume they have turned it off to stop the complaints racking up!

6. Odette Meredith

Odette Meredith New Member

Could no longer live with the smell ... bought BIN today, have covered my walls. (2x tins = £38!). A refund would be greatly appreciated. Heads up though ... it works!!! Have messaged trade standards and their fb page. I bought 1 x v300 and 2 x v500. Actually sniffing the paint, the v500 colours have the aweful odour. Still have all the tins of samples are needed

cc01 likes this.
  7. Joel Hard

Joel Hard New Member

Does this mean you need to re paint over the top again?

8. Sue Hodgkiss

Sue Hodgkiss New Member

Valspar have a Facebook page & ive just messaged them from that. We'll see if they comment??

9. Sue Hodgkiss

Sue Hodgkiss New Member

Just got this from Valspar Facebook page via messenger!! I will forward all the details & see what happens. I'll let you al know

Hi Sue, we’re getting in touch to follow up your complaint about the paint smell you’ve noticed recently.

As we mentioned in our last comment, we’d like to get more information on your case for our technical director. Can you please email customerservice@valsparpaint.co.uk with the full details, including the batch number of the product and an image of the white sticky label on the side of the can. We’d also be interested to know what surface preparation took place before applying our paint, and what surface it was painted on to.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

10. Rima

Rima New Member

So we could really do with independent health and safety experts to test the compounds being released. Anyone know any? Whoever it was who said they were a qualified painter and decorator should be writing to BBC watchdog.

I've got increasingly wheezy. Maybe as a result of sleeping in this room so I don't want my baby in there now. This is really ****** of them.

11. Odette Meredith

Odette Meredith New Member

Um .... yes .....not using Valspar though

cc01 likes this.
  12. Sue Hodgkiss

Sue Hodgkiss New Member

Where is the batch number of the paint? I've got the white sticky label that has B&Q details but can't find a batch number beginning with a letter??

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quite a few firms in UK tht do independent testing & reports.

http://www.johnashworthltd.co.uk/

http://www.lpdlabservices.co.uk/ind...ecc12RjPiW8sNpYlz4OJG5DKYJnVULL37GBoCqybw_wcB

14. Mark Key

Mark Key New Member

15. Mark Key

Mark Key New Member

To add my two penneth: We have a brand new house with walls finished in standard plaster and Matt White trade emulsion. Zero stink.

Since painting one wall in my little girls room with dark blue Valspar, I have chastised the cat, bleached her floor and furniture, invested in a UV cat urine detector, crawled all over the loft cavity hunting for moggy deposits and generally driving mysel mad worrying that my baby is breathing in cat pee.

The presence of bacteria growth in our brand new walls is virtually nil, so my friends, it's the paint.

Glad to have found the cause through sniffing everything - just couldn't imagine it was the wall - and pretty peed off to discover.

Will have a rant on their Fbook page.

Not nice.

Class action anyone?!

Rima likes this.
  16. I have never used valspar in my life, and I certainly wont start now.

But what does it smell like when you open the lid ?

17. Touche

Touche Member

I checked my tin earlier tonight, half full from last October when I used it (and now 2 rooms stinking of cat pee). Nothing like cat pee and still looks like it did when I used it. Smell in my house is only noticeable on hot days.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you had an elderly relative stay.

Sparkielev likes this.
  19. CarolInCorsham

CarolInCorsham New Member

Valspar has had this problem for quite awhile as looking for answers found a site that is two years and 6 months old with gas paint smells , they really have not been that bothered to help their customers .
    Have contacted citizens advice today hopfully this will snowball

Rima likes this.
  20. Rima

Rima New Member

Well that rules out any Wall substrate problems as they're suggesting. We've not got a new house admittedly, but the walls had already been painted by the Builders two years ago, we washed them and painted and it appears to only be one of the three Valspar paints that we used that's emitting that odour. So almost definitely a batch problem. I wonder if it's geographical too? Where do you all live?