Advice please

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tony E, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Tony E

Tony E New Member

I have had my hall, stairs & landing skimmed. Once the plaster had dried I painted the edges that had galvanised plaster beads fitted with Zinsser BIN. I then applied a mist coat of Crown Covermat Obliterating matt emulsion - this was watered down 40%. The edges treated with Zinsser were quite visible - but being a mist coat I thought that was OK. I have now applied a coat of neat Crown Covermat Obliterating matt emulsion, whilst the rest of the wall have covered well I can still see where the Zinsser was painted on.

Firstly, how many coats of matt emulsion would normally be applied to new plaster on top of the mist coat?

If another coat won't cover the Zinsser, is there anything that can be painted around these edges before using the matt emulsion.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Zinsser BIN is well known for "flashing" through paint because it dries with a different finish to the normal emulsion.
    It's the texture that make it stand out (in particular if it was applied with a brush and the rest of the paint with a roller) give the edges an extra coat and then go over the lot once the texture builds up it will cover. ;)

3. supertosh

supertosh Member

Dumping the Crown to use a quality paint such as dulux or Johnstones will help stop flashing. Crown emulsion is well known for flashing where the cutting-in meets the rolled coat.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014