Advice please

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Guethary, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Guethary

Guethary New Member

I am fixing 300x600 18mm marble tiles on bathroom wall. Have built studd wall with piping behind. Plasterboarded and primed with acrylic primer. I have done this before 4 years ago and had no issues with the tiles falling off but cant recall whether I simply used plasterboard. Suddenly worried today. I could take off plasterboard and fix cement board. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Check the weight of your tiles per m2. Unskimmed PB will take 32Kg/m2. Make sure you use cement based adhesive (bagged). Good luck

3. Guethary

Guethary New Member

Thanks. yes I read that figure which threw me and made me question myself! I have the right fixative...not sure how to measure the weight of tiles!

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Know it's in bathroom but will this include any wet areas , ie. Shower cubicle, around bath ?

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If its a wall thats likely to get wet, then i'd use a waterproof tile backerboard rather than plasterboard.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Weigh 1 and multiply by 5.5.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Don't forget the weight of the adhesive as well.

8. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

18mm marble plus adhesive, you're looking around 54kg per square metre or more. I'd definitely go for backing board.

9. Guethary

Guethary New Member

Thanks for the many responses.
    No, its not a wet room and am only tiling on one wall, bath level to ceiling.
    From very vague memory I think i used 18mm marine ply last time. Can easily use this and take off plasterboard...but I may used plasterboard. Sorry but 4 years ago and i only do up bathrooms when I move house, so memory fails me.
    The tiles were free and really good so want to make use of them. Here's the one i did last time-marble from France mainly from old fireplaces on Ebay. IMG_8023lowres.jpg

CGN likes this.
  10. Guethary

Guethary New Member

In the end replaced normal plasterboard with the green stuff as its more resistant to moisture and more relevant am not tiling to top of wall, for aesthetic reasons and also this reduces the load.
    The tile adhesive market is a bit of a joke...used Mapei Keraquick-expensive and not too quick. These tiles are heavy as they are 18mm and I had to support them with a batten or slippage occurs. Why is a small bag of adhesive £9 and a large bag of Plaster £5...

11. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Try explaining (or as they might claim, "justifying") to elderly customers why the rate for stone tiling is higher than for standard wall tiles. Oh, deep joy

12. Guethary

Guethary New Member

I fixed a marble fireplace surround with cheap old Plaster of Paris. Goes solid in minutes. Can this not be used for wall tiling heavy tiles?

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I don't think it will work.

Think it needs to be a flexible adhesive.

I found (dental) plaster of paris can go off quickly when out of date.