Advice re. No Nonsense Caulk/Painting and Papering, Please

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Corney, Nov 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Corney

Corney New Member

My wife has used No Nonsense caulk in small cracks on our plaster walls but it has also spread past the cracks.

The canister says it is 'paintable' but later 'can be painted over with most... paints' and 'painting over highly filled emulsion paints can cause cracks in the paint film'. We are confused!

We would like to try emulsion paint on the plaster (which is not new) but because of the state of the walls and amount of repairs, think we may have to use lining paper and then use emulsion paint.

We have read elsewhere that by using caulk we may have a problem with any paint or paper bubbling up.

Could anyone please advise if this would be the case with No Nonsense caulk?

Could you please advise the best way to progress?

Many thanks.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Try and wipe over the area with Camel spit. Awesome stuff

3. Corney

Corney New Member

Thanks for that, v helpful........

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Some brands of caulk may 'craze' after using emulsion. Always follow instructions which state drying times before overpainying

Some brands state overpaintable after just 1 hour ..... dunno myself, too many variables, i.e. How deep is the caulk and room temp. Etc

Never used No N myself, I always use Evo Stick brand and have had no probs with it crazing

If yours does craze, either paint over the effected areas with Zinnster 123 or an oil based paint (gloss white)

Allow to dry then emulsion over. 123 dries in an hour so easier

If walls are badly damaged and you want a decent finish, then lining paper, at least 1400 grade, but prep is still required and after filling and sanding, size the wall with thinned paste

As long as you use good quality materials and required prep, there will be no problem with lining paper going over caulked areas

Good luck and maybe post some pic soon of the wall (or anything else you fancy) :)

5. Corney

Corney New Member

DIYDave, many thanks for your coherent reply!

I do have some Zinser Cover Stain (interior/exterior primer-sealer). Do you think I could go over each repaired caulked crack with this (or would Zinser 123 be much better?) and then use lining paper (thinking of using 1400 weight) and finally painting with ordinary emulsion?

It's quite a big area!

I will put up a pic of finished walls but the way I am going, it will definitely be in 2017..18...19........

Thanks again for your excellent help.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cover Stain is for Covering Stains it is solvent based and would eventually dry fairly ridged, 123 is a waterbased latex mix and therefore has a more flexible finish once dry. 123 dries within an hour ready for overpainting with another coat of 123 but take 5 days to fully cure. If the cracks are all over I would forget 123 and line the wall with WallRock Fibre liner following the manufacturers instructions that can be viewed on Youtube.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I always have better results painting over filler with a thinned first coat of emulsion. Treat like fresh plaster.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really