Aerial Problems

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by deanalewis, Apr 25, 2015.

1. deanalewis

deanalewis Member

Hi All,

I live in Northern Ireland and recently I had two aerials fitted. One for BBC (Freeview) the other (RTE) Soarview - Masthead Diplexer.

If I feed this cable directly to the Television - Via a Triplexed Faceplate everything works fine.

I then decided to get an FM Aerial so I bought a Vision Triplexer that combines UHF and VHFIII and FM.

Again if I connect this cable to the TV it works fine.

So I decided to connect it to other rooms and I found that If I use a multiswitch the signal goes from around 83% to 33%.

I then thought the multiswitch is at fault so I went and bought bought a Tristar 6way splitter : http://www.diy.com/departments/tristar6-way-satellite-f-splitter/571174_BQ.prd

Again if I use the triplexer + triplexer faceplate it does not work. However if I use the splitter directly it works fine.

So I went and bought a splitter+Combiner http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-psc120-s-2-way-combiner-splitter-vhf-uhf/49019

And lo and behold the triplex signal works except since it only has two outputs only a maximum of two televisions work.

Can you advise where I am going wrong - My multiswtch appears to be supplying a current to the Aerial when there is actually no masthead amp? So why is it not shorting?

Shall I guess the power from the multiswtich is causing excess noise on the signal?

OR should I the signal from the roof be boosted with a masthead amp?

2. Jeeez, man, I dunno...

But, if you are getting a good clean signal from your existing setup, then all you should need to do is boost it with an indoor aerial amp with multiple outputs.

Problems arise when you have a poor 'dirty' signal to start with - boosters then just boost it all, so it doesn't work very well. In this situation you may need a mast-head amp instead, or a larger aerial.

But, if you have an 83% signal already, I'm assuming that's quite good (and clean) so a decent indoor amp should surely be fine?

(Can't be arsed working through the rest of your post - soz. I certainly didn't understand the FM aerial being connected to your TV...)

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What multiswitch are you using.

And which Saorview - Masthead Diplexer you also using.