AGAs and flues- I'm so confused! Help

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Kimmy, Mar 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kimmy

Kimmy New Member

Ok, I'm moving house on Friday (yay) and I am already to order a refurbished gas Aga. I spoke to the man on the phone who said as it's gas I need a flue. I've googled and I can't have one going from the kitchen wall to the garage and believe I need a powerflue to do that, and be rerouted a max of 5m with max 5 bends to reach the great outdoors.

So here are my questions:
    1) who would I contact to install said flue? Would a log burner company be right?
    2) how expensive should this be? I'm
    Aware some (emphasis on some) men see a young girl and take advantage of her lack of knowledge.
    3) I presume the flue people come first, then the Aga people?

Things to note: I have already made my mind up re the Aga, nothing will sway me. Secondly I am very grateful for any advice regarding my flue problem/confusion- thank you in advance!

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Will the AGA installer not do the flue too? They must see this problem on a regular basis and wither do it directly of sub-con it to another installer.

3. Hi Kimmy.

It's a gas appliance, so you need a GasSafe (or similar) person to install the flue - not a log-burner cove.

I don't know what sort of burner is used in Agas - are they fan-powered-flue or room vented for example, but I would hope that a solution could be found that doesn't involve 5 metres of flue pipe. But I don't know.

Are you saying that the kitchen wall where the Aga is going has the garage on the other side? If so, what type of roof does your garage have - could the flue simply bend straight up and go through the garage roof?

Anyhoo, who to fit? Ask the guys supplying the Aga...

(Is this an old house with a space for a previous stove? Don't they require reinforced hearths? Not sure, but worth checking.)

4. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Hi kimmy,

As suggested contact the aga people. We get our aga serviced bi-annually by a guy that was recomended through one of the aga stores...there are not that many of them. I would go on agaliving.com and find your closest store who hopefully be able to put you in contact with an aga installer.

The burners are not fan powered (or ours is not at least) but is 35 years old. It is just like a gas hob but a linear set of burners instead of a ring that is room vented. Our flue somehow gets into one of the chimney stacks with a cowl on the pot- I presume it is lined but exactly how I am not sure. The installers as part of the service test the burner (presume are gas registered) and test the flue so I am sure they will be able to best inform you and fill in all the blanks.

Rob