Aico smokies

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Hey guys - I asked a while back what your using these days and Aico was the answer. Finished off my little install today and ta for the tip, lovley job to install. One point I would say, very tight with the space for the actual wiring. I don't think you could use anything bigger than 1mm 3 core.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The carbon monoxide detectors are a little harder to wire as the space is more enclosed. Just ordered about 9 alarms to replace in a property as the ones fitted have now expired. Adding an extra in the loft and basement. And fitting a new CO alarm in the kitchen 9gas appliances) to comply with new regs to come into force in October for landlords.

FatHands likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Great product, Used lots of them recently. Can recommend the wireless bases if you need to install a grade D interlinked system
    and don't want to tear up the house running 3 core between each alarm.

4. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Ei Electronics/Aico are great for a domestic job (and in fact are all I use for domestic jobs), but as said they can be very tight for 1.5mm^2 conductors. Unfortunately many national standards do not permit the use of 1mm^2 conductors - and indeed even BS 7671 only permits it where it is connected to a lighting circuit.

Thankfully smokes are often connected to lighting circuits - and COs can be linked to the smokes, but it still seems poor design to me that there isn't more space for making connections.

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I presume you are referring to radio frequency bases. They are not wireless - you still need a mains supply to them. It is simply the interlink which is wireless.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Agreed Risteard, it's only the interlinking that's wireless, they all still need a power supply.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

BS7671 says you can use 1mm for signalling and control, well you have an interlink cable o_O... I've always assumed a power circuit something with sockets on...

8. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

The mains supply is not a signal though. And power does not have to have a socket.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes, that's what I said, no need for interlinking cable.

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The wireless bases are great for linking two sets of wired alarms. If you have a home with 6 detectors and can wire three one end and three the other, you can link these two sets or three with two bases. Using a radio base on all 6 is expensive. I prefer wired, using wireless bases when you want to bridge between areas you cannot cable.

CGN likes this.
  11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

There is no definition of a power ctt in BS7671.

If you want to waste copper on the most totally pointless exercise of interpreting the regs to the letter then knock yourself out. 1mm is cheaper, more environmentally friendly (less resource used), easier to fit, and make zero difference to the overall safety of the ctt as compared to 1.5mm. Just to pre-empt you, yes there may be slightly less volt drop but on a ctt. measured in mA, so what :)

12. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

There is no definition of a lighting circuit either, so it would be fair to assume that what is not a lighting circuit is a power circuit.

I was hardly going to mention volt drop on a smoke alarm circuit! But unfortunately we can't pick and choose which Regulations we obey. So unless connected to a lighting circuit (which it very often will be) then 1mm^2 cable is not permitted.

What other parts of BS7671 do you choose to ignore?

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I'm not picking and choosing. There is no definition of a power ctt. in bs7671, a point which YOU have choosen to ignore. What YOUR basing YOUR fact's on is YOUR interpretation of BS7671. That's a BELIEF, not a FACT.

Tell me Risteard, in what way, IF i was ignoring BS7671, would wiring the ctt be any more dangerous than wiring it in 1.5? And what if I wired, say, an overhead extract fan with lights in 1mm. Is that a lighting ctt or a power ctt?

14. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I already told you connecting ancillary equipment to a lighting circuit should not by any sensible definition cause it to cease to be a lighting circuit. Nor did I ignore your point - in fact I clearly stated that a lighting circuit is also undefined. (So how does that ignore that power circuit is undefined? It's very straightforward English.)

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Risteard, tbh what if I did choose to ignore 7671? It's not law is it? What if I came up with an idea that was just as safe as 7671 but done in a way that didn't comply with the regs? So what?

I can't stand this blinkered atttitude, oh I've done it like that 'cos that's how it's always done. 7671 say's do it like this or the police will be round. I bet you if you found a smoke ctt on 1mm on a condition report you would mark it up a code. Same with any combustable cu's you come across. What if it goes to court? etc yadda yadda

You know I'm not a spark and I aint got 30 years behind mein the industry but I do wish sometimes you would just OPEN YOUR EYES.

16. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I wouldn't code the smoke circuit because there is no real safety issue. However I would demand that it was rewired if it was an initial verification, as the Declaration states that it complies with the Wiring Regulations (which it doesn't).

Combustible distribution boards in a domestic premises is a completely different kettle of fish, given that there is plenty of evidence that these have been the source of ignition for many house fires.

During a periodic inspection you are only asked to code non-compliances which give rise to safety concerns - a firestarter in the house simply could not be ignored.

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Risteard are you aka ban-all-sheds? I have to side with Coloumb when it comes to arguing a point with you. There is nothing wrong with wiring smoke detectors, fans, lighting circuits, shaver points, in fact anything else on a 6A circuit in 6242Y 1.0mm2.

Aico are a joy to fit and wire. The trick with the Aico is to wire the cpc first then push the cpc in to the base of the wiring pocket then do the same with the neutral and the interlink followed by the live. The cap then clips neatly in to place.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    KIAB likes this.
  18. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

There is something wrong with it if they do not form part of a lighting circuit. The problem being that this is explicitly prohibited by BS7671. You're either working to that Standard or you are not. It's not a pick and choose bag.

And don't ever compare me with Ban All Sheds again. Unlike him, I am actually a Qualified Electrician.

KIAB likes this.
  19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Calm down fgs. Please quote me the Reg that doesn't allow the use of 1.0mm2 for smokes. If I am wrong then I will hold my hands up. You quote the Reg, I will read it, then we will meet up again. Okay! I just don't like the lecturing unless you can prove it. I am willing to learn and admit I'm wrong. You prove it that's all I ask.

20. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I'm quite happy to wire non lighting circuits in 1mm, I do it with cooker hoods fed from a fused spur with a 3 or 5A fuse in them. I've got more important things to worry about than desk wallers dreaming up more pointless ****.