Aico smokies

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Open your Regs book and look up the minimum size of conductors permitted. This has been the case for quite some time now so you certainly should have been aware of it!

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It say's somewhere in the holy bible all non lighting ctts (eg power ctts) need to be wired with a min. of 1.5mm. Afaic "power ctts" mean that, ctt's with fecking sockets on, not some smoke ctts with a couple of mA going through it. Anyway, 7671 has no definition of a power ctt so it's stupid and pointless. R. the idea that you would rip it out just to comply with some stupid pen pusher who wants to meet some poxy european directive/standard is laughable. Why can't you just think outside the box and use a bit of common sense? I mean I COULD wire the ctt. in 1mm flex and this would be perfectly ok. by your rules.

3. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Power circuits does not mean socket circuits. It means final circuits which are not lighting circuits.

Traditionally "lighting" and "power" have been separated. Not everything which isn't lighting contains socket outlets you know.

4. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Initial Verification requires that compliance with the Regulations is proven. That is the whole point of the exercise.

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Table 52.3

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Like I say, your belief, not fact.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

tbh I think you are a jobsworth, mate. If you are interpreting that smoke detector circuits are power circuits by some manipulation of words then you are a cock. If you were a real electrician then you would realise that loads need to be taken in to account first then an appropriate sized cable conductor designed. Unless you are Risteard in which case you make your own rules up.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Ben you are right. Ignore him he has a hidden agenda that he knows something we don't. There are far too many like him in this industry and it beggars belief the amount of tosh they spout.

9. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Smokes on min 1,5 twin and skin

WTF?

Your protecting the cable not the alarm unit, its not gonna pull hardly any current on full chat even with stuff daisy chained with Heats and CO's

I Install mine on 1mm, you lot can do what you want and make life harder

10. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Then your installations do not comply with BS7671.

11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The latest reg books did change the requirement, however stupid it may be!

Previously, with the red book it showed power and lighting min 1.0mm. It now shows power 1.5, lighting 1.0.

I have just done a load of smokes today, all in 1.0, but from a lighting circuit. If I was taking it from a socket circuit via an FCU, while I would happily use 1.0, to comply, it should be 1.5.

I installed a fan via an FCU on a ring last year, in a utility room. Done in 1.0mm. Picked up on my NIC inspection, but not as a fail or something to be put right.

12. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Amendment 1 introduced the change.

13. sparky Si-Fi

So shoot me

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The problem I find with many people in this industry is they take too literally what a Reg says and even invent extras associated with the Reg that just aren't there. If you install a smoke detector circuit it uses less current than a lighting circuit so wiring one in 1.5mm2 and the other in 1.0mm2 is ludicrous. A smoke detector circuit is a lighting circuit in all but name. I will continue happily wiring all my smoke detector circuits in 1.0mm2 as standalone circuits. Its no different to tagging them on to a lighting circuit wired in 1.0mm2. It has never occurred to me to do one from a spur off a socket circuit. It isn't good practice anyway and AFAIK that is not allowed (for houses anyway) it has to be from a lighting circuit or a standalone circuit not spurred off sockets. I have never done so and couldn't ever see a need to do so. In that circumstance alone I would agree that 1.5mm2 is the minimum csa required because it is then part of a power circuit but I am adamant that it is perfectly acceptable to wire smoke detectors in 1.0mm2.

15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Then you are wrong, except where the smoke detectors are connected to a lighting circuit. It is in the Wiring Regulations in black and white.

16. sparky Si-Fi

Mine always are wired into a regularly use lighting circuit so 1 mill it is. .

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It is my opinion that the nature of the spur should be taken in to consideration when choosing the cable size. When spurring from a fused connection unit off a socket circuit then a minimum 1.5mm2 is specified for adding further sockets since the 13A BS1362 in the connection unit protects the cable from overload. However when spurring to, say, a fan or a light fitting, then it is clear that a 1.0mm2 cable fused at 3A is adequate. It is a pity that the Wiring Regulations close the minds of many individuals to what are obvious safe solutions in preference to a 'word' or a reference in a table to influence their choice of installation, people who have an apparent inability to apply sensible judgement and confidence to use technical competence.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Dream on. You would be better suited to writing dictionaries for a living because you have no aptitude to grasp what is 'safe'. If you think a smoke detector circuit needs to be wired in 1.5mm2 on the basis of table 52.3 you fit the category of the above post.

19. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

No problem with that.

20. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Where did I state that it was unsafe?

Or can you not read?

Or are you braindead?

None of this changes the fact that it contravenes the Wiring Regulations.