Air admittance valve outside?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by snaglist, Jun 2, 2009.

1. snaglist

snaglist New Member

Just had a garage converted into a bedroom with ensuite. The outside soil stack is all plumbed in. I need a push fit air admittance valve for the top of it. The ones SF sell are not recommended for exteriors. Do i need to get something else and if so do SF sell it. Cheers for any help

2. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

3. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

No AAV is suitable for external use.

4. rome60

rome60 New Member

Ditto not recommended for external use,why can"t you just extend the stack with open vent better job.

5. Bill the Scot

Bill the Scot New Member

Just make sure vent does not terminate near any opening window as foul smell could enter house.
    Terminal vent is all that is necessary.

6. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

The only reason for the AAV is to prevent any smell coming from the pipe back into the room. Providing you are not within 900mm of an opening window, just put a cage on top as already said.

7. rome60

rome60 New Member

When i refer to open vent on a soil stack it means permanent vent,& am aware a terminal must be fitted.Regarding the Durgo AAV that remains closed & opens when anti vacuum (atmospheric pressure)takes place.Also they can freeze when a frost occurs,that being the reason not to use them externally;)

8. naughtyboy

naughtyboy New Member

floplast make an external aav its the ax110

9. G Brown

G Brown New Member

10. snaglist

snaglist New Member

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. There is no window on the wall where the soil stack is. I got a length of soil pipe left, i'll stick a terminal vent on it as suggested

11. PlumberSouth

PlumberSouth New Member

I know this is an old post, but in case anyone else comes across it when looking for info on this... AAV's can be installed externally but they need to have the right third-party certification. Part H of building regs doesn't allow AAVs to be installed outside, but it would be OK if it had a BBA certificate stating that it could be installed outside. If it's got the right approval then it's OK - if it hasn't (like most on the market) then it wouldn't meet building regulations when used externally.

KIAB likes this.
  12. Karl Ellerbrook

Karl Ellerbrook New Member

Hi there. I want to replace an old vent waste setup (pic1) with something like pic2 (durgo admittance valve?) Is it possible and advisable and if so how? Many thanks!

Attached Files:

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Why tack onto a old thread:confused: better to start a new one.

And why the change.

14. Karl Ellerbrook

Karl Ellerbrook New Member

Thought this was a related thread? Reason is because the old setup looks horrible. Only want to change the end of the valve (ie with the Durgo type valve.