Air tools ??

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Davmac, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Bought myself a compressor last week (been wanting one for wee while now) a 100l from SGS Engineering. Just to do wee jobs in the shed out the way.

I also wanted it for checking my tyre pressures so I bought a decent tyre gauge (PCL ALG3H05 MK3 Tyre Inflator) because I was peed off at waiting in to put 50p in a machine that's meant to be calibrated, watching in horror as its chucked to the side by the previous user, and hoping its calibrated when I eventually get a shot. Sounds a bit excessive but my tyres are £250 a corner, Mrsmac's are the same (315/35/20 Dunlop run flats) so £250 x 8 = a great excuse to get a compressor in the shed ;).

Been a while since my apprentice days when I was sent to drain the compressor, and I remember seeing a configuration on the wall like a water trap and oiler 2 connected clear bowels that the feed from the compressor before it went into the workshop. I've seen this set up in an air tool web site, and wondered if I need one of theses for hobby use not even every day use?
    I think its like the one from a long time ago, and I guess water in the air going through the tool doesn't do it any good.
    Anyone on here use air tools?
    Is Chicago Pneumatic still the mutznutz? or are there other brands that's just as good/better?
    I'm looking for a decent drill, ratchet, and multi tool + attachments, any recommends? (hobby use).

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

For hobby use I wouldn't bother, just remember to drain down the tank every week.

Davmac likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you shack/shed is unheated in the winter, make sure your compressor is drained of any water, I lost a compressor many years when we had that bad winter 81?, water froze & cracked the compressor:(.
    After that I alway made sure it was drained, & I put a old duvet over the compressor in the winter.
    Water is only areal problem if you spraying.

Davmac and chippie244 like this.
  4. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Thanks guys
    Do you recommend the need for the water trap / lube for all the use its going to have? Or just a burst of atf into the tool ?
    And any help with tools would be good too