Aluminium door lock - kinda stuck. Advise?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Nov 25, 2014.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hi yet another seeking of advice.

Our back door's lock has the latch stuck in. I can't work out how to release, I suspect the lug above the handle should do something but however I wiggle it, with the handle up or down, little seems to happen. I can hear a graunching noise if I pull or push it up and move the handle.

I suspect its may be damaged inside, but as I don't know how it is meant to operate I am not sure. The lock plate is marked 'UNION', I cannot see a model number.

A photo from inside is shown below (no; it didn't posted for some reason), the lug can be seen above the handle and the latch stuck in.

Some advice please on a) how this may be released? b) if it needs replacing how I may identify a suitable part.

Many thanks, Steve

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You have uploaded your picture incorrectly(you need to delete it) for security.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Thanks Handyandy

That what happens when you try to do these things from your offcie at lunchtim.

Anyway, I took it apart this evening and the spring that pushes the latch out is broken. New lock about to be ordered.

Have a good evening, Steve