Am I a qualified electrician?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kirk measom, May 1, 2016.

1. Kirk measom

Kirk measom New Member

I have level 2 & 3 c&g 2330 qualifications. I completed the course 4 years ago and have since been working as a general builder. I have been involved in all aspects of construction in domestic properties.
    An opportunity has arose to do electrical work. Am I qualified to undertake domestic electrical works?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You don't need any qualifications to do any electrical work. If you do domestic you either need to be registered for Part P notification or go through BC if you want to do any more than just add a socket or two.

3. Have you passed the 17th edition??

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Indeed. You might not be able to register without it or at least the registration body will expect you to obtain it with in a certain amount of time.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Any one who is deemed as competent can undertake electrical work, the vast majority of said will be under BC.

So with the 2330 quallys you must be competent to undertake electrical work within the domestic environ sectors - BC will largely be involved though as said.

6. Kirk measom

Kirk measom New Member

As far as I'm aware I just have 2330. Can't find any other Certs. Who do you mean by BC?

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Building Control.

8. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Qualified Electrician would generally mean someone eligible for grading by the JIB as an Electrician.

leesparkykent and nffc like this.
  9. Kirk measom

Kirk measom New Member

Ah. Of course.

10. Never been graded in 20 years or so in the industry, I think your employer puts you through it ????

madhatter1uk likes this.
  11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Do you own a "neon screwdriver" .....

Yes ......... Then your qualified :)

Simple really (I've got a couple myself so I'm "well qualified" :eek:

KIAB likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dave, you say on most of your posts that 'Your only DIY' what happened?:eek:

13. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

lol lets not start about them again lol.

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope, not one.:(

So,even I have C&G 236, I'm not qualified.:(

P:S: don't start me off regarding neon screwdrivers:mad:

The dangers...o_O

15. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Qualified for installation, although you've not done testing and inspection have you.
    It was included in the course when I did it but I believe it's seperate now.

Building control is all to do with part p. They won't let you sign off work for building control purposes until your registered with a self certifying body. You only need that for new circuits and some bathroom work.

16. madhatter1uk

You answer your own question. Am I a qualified electrician, then list an electricians qualification.

17. nffc

nffc Active Member

I personally think the JIB have it right with what qualifications and experience is required in order to obtain an 'Electrician' grading. If you don't want to take just my word for it then take the word of every building site in the country that requires you to have this grading in order to work as an electrician on their sites.

leesparkykent and Risteard like this.
  18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha your right Astra, I am purely DIY and happy with that but, armed with my trusty (maybe not) neon screwdriver, I feel like a pro spark :eek:

Actually not really a fan of them either, only having a laugh. Main problem with them is actually seeing if the neon is lit or not, especially in day light (other safety issues with them as well)

If I do need to play with the leccie, got a volt stick, again not 100% reliable but if say sockets, also test with radio..... On..... Off.... Confirm with volt stick, then get playing ;)

19. madhatter1uk

Rubbish

20. madhatter1uk

People with jib think they're better than people that haven't. Jib still have cowboys. Clubs, organisations, registrations are all guff, just a money making scheme and creating tiers of grandeur that are in reality delusions of grandeur. The only thing that makes an electrician a qualified electrician is the qualification that says he or she is.