Am I a qualified electrician?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kirk measom, May 1, 2016.

1. nffc

nffc Active Member

Deleted.

2. nffc

nffc Active Member

3. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I certainly never told you that. The clue is in the name: National Vocational Qualification.

leesparkykent likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I thought it meant Not Very Quick. :rolleyes:

5. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

on the other thread no one said the NVQ wasn't a qualification....MH said it was an exam and was corrected saying its a portfolio.

Risteard likes this.
  6. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Not at all. I don't see why you have such a problem with an organisation that keeps the required criteria to a standard where short course 5WW domestic installers cant be classed as an electrician....

nffc likes this.
  7. nffc

nffc Active Member

An electrician is an electrician. Someone that has a wide range of skills and knowledge in ALL aspects of general electrical works. Domestic, industrial and commercial. They won't know everything but would know how and where to find the answer and understand it.

Anyone that chooses to do a short course in domestic electrical installations cannot be defined by such a broad ranging term as an electrician. They are a domestic installer. All short courses teach is domestic installation.

8. nffc

nffc Active Member

No one is saying you have to be registered with the JIB. Only that the JIB have the correct criteria for being labelled as an electrician. Whether you apply for the card or not really makes no difference if you hold the qualifications.

leesparkykent likes this.
  9. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

The JIB yet another parasite in this industry we do not need. . .

10. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

"Help!" cries Marge "all the lights in the house have gone out". "Better call and electrician" says husband Bert. Overhearing their conversation Mr Nosey, the neighbour, reassuringly informs them "you don't need an electrician, work of such simplicity can be done by a Domestic Installer. While Mr Nosey and Bert engage in a long discussion about the merits of the various certification schemes and value of experience against formal qualification, they fail to notice that the lights have come back on. In the meantime Marge had found the big white box under the stairs and flicked up one of the little switches marked lights - however as Marge is only a keen DIYer, Bert and Mr Nosey are not impressed.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  11. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

welcome to the mess i am stuck in i have most of the theory know how of a spark what i lack is both the practial know how and the bit of paper that says im a spark (and that takes 4 years full time to get) who knows one day soon i may go to tec and get that bit of paper

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur 100%

13. nffc

nffc Active Member

The practical is probably 70/80% of being a good sparks. To have anyone that is only trained in theory but has never been trained in the practical side of things would be very dangerous if left alone to work as an electrician.

14. sparky Si-Fi

Not very Qualified weren't it?

15. sparky Si-Fi

Ask a domestic installer to put a 45 deg. set on a piece of 25mm steel conduit

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I did my L2 it cost about £780. Not sure what the price of the course is.

There may be financial assistance available.

Maybe that day is in September?? :D

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

For Electrical Installation L1 Diploma.

You need a C in Maths and English.

May be able to get a Discretion Support Fund, if income is below.

18. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

cant PAT testing course 1st then maybe i will go and learn to be a spark

19. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

A lot of its just for the show, some will take great pride in pulling out a JIB card just like they like to turn up to a job in a fully liveried Amarock. Me, I'm not to fussed.

20. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Still insulting people. You just can't help your ego I suppose.
    So now it's a portfolio not a qualification. I'm getting dizzy with what this JIB industry standard requirement is, are you sure they know themselves.

You do realise what a qualification is don't you. Obviously nfu doesn't. If the course says electricians course, and there is an exam at the end, then they're if the pass that exam, they gain that qualification. If that's for an electricians course, then they're qualified electricians. They're able to go on and register for part p if they pass the criterion for that rip off. Experience and levels if competency are totally different to being a qualified electrician. It is of course assumed that electrician is a mains electrician. There are courses for other electricians. It's not rocket science, passing the course doesn't need years of experience. In fact it doesn't need any experience.
    So in answer to the original post, yes you are qualified. The next question is, are you experienced.