Am I a qualified electrician?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kirk measom, May 1, 2016.

1. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I have absolutely no idea who you believe is insulting people or why you have come to that conclusion.

However, the NVQ is a qualification which consists of a portfolio of evidence. How does the fact that you need to compile and submit a portfolio alter its status as a qualification?

Do you know what qualification means? It certainly does not mean the same thing as examination, although an examination may lead to the award of a qualification.

leesparkykent likes this.
  2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

you can't educate pork.......

Risteard likes this.
  3. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

does a key skills (or whatever they call it now count) its them free courses that are equivlant to grade c gcse as i have those.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I got on to the course, with a C in Maths in English I got a D.

There were assessment tests done in English and Maths prior to enrollment on the course, multiple choice, to make sure everyone is upto standard.

The maths can get high, and a few people did struggle with it, especially powers and SI units etc.

The courses can get quite full quickly.

5. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

As I've already written numerous times, if a person does an electrician course, passes the exam, gets the qualification, then they're qualified. Simple, end of, you do not need anything else to be qualified. if you need the portfolio to complete the course then it's needed, if not then it isn't needed. The person is qualified if they have a certificate with a qualification on it.

6. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

someone who sits a 1day part p exam/course like the 2393....does that make them a qualified electrician?

Risteard likes this.
  7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

The Electricians' qualification is the NVQ Level 3 though, so they would need to achieve this particular qualification to become qualified.

You can't seriously claim that any random qualification would do?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

L2 Diploma in Electrical Installation is £2200 p/t one day or 2 evenings a week.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

''Am I a qualified electrician?''

I have just a assembled a model aircraft kit

''Am I a qualified aeronautical engineer?''

KIAB likes this.
  10. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

No, You're a kit basher.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Don't know what all the fuss is about?
    An Electrician is someone who conducts electrical work.
    A Qualified Electrician is someone who conducts electrical work and holds an electrical qualification.
    Being a member of a scheme, the JIB, the IET or anything else is just window dressing.

13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

The one man band, time served and somewhere in his late 40's early fifties are the ones with the most to loose and are at least up to date with regs so they will produce a better job or risk losing their assets to cutting corners

As for some of the new build site installs, ferk me, no quality there and test results on the certs. a fabrication the same time as doing the lottery numbers. .

Sparkielev likes this.
  14. nffc

nffc Active Member

Apparently there are some really great qualified electricians here.

15. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Couple of names I recognise there.

nffc likes this.
  16. nffc

nffc Active Member

Get yourself over and say hello.