Am I being competitively priced?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Silverman, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Silverman

Silverman New Member

5 meter solid oak worktop, with sink cut out and a join. Quoted £150. Called back to say I was to expensive and she's found a cheaper quote.

What would your rate be for the change?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Too expensive, I don't think so for supply, time to cut out, joint, a bit cheap I say, but I'm out of touch with prices nowadays.:(

How thick is oak worktop, you seal it as well?

3. Silverman

Silverman New Member

Not supply, they've got it themselves just fitting. The worktop is a good 3inches thick and I'd seal it as well.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

When they phone you back asking If you can make good the bodge job they've had, tell um your too expensive. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Silverman likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah! people can't afford me so I'm told....until it needs putting right!:eek::D

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I was gonna say £150 was mega cheap for supply and fit ..... Bargain of the century in fact !!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't what area, but I would say £250, maybe £300 in some area's.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's a days work by the time you oil it, cut it, manoeuvre it in position being 3inch thick awkward and frigging heavy, join it, seal it, fit the sink, and clean up. And even if you get it done in less than a day you ain't going to go to another job so it's a days pay £150 - £200. She's clearly a buffoon trying to skimp on the fitting of an item she's going to see and use every day, think yourself lucky you dodged a bullet mate.

GoodwithWood and KIAB like this.
  9. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Stick to your guns mate; some people only want the cheapest possible deal they can get, then when it turns out to be dreadful, blame everyone but themselves. Thse kind of people aren't worth your time.

I quoted to board, level and tile a kitchen-diner floor (half floorboards, half concrete) I'd knocked through for a customer, but they then found a "professional tiler" that would do it for £100. Last time I was there, the "professional" had laid the tiles directly onto the floorboards.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Just thinking about the 5m worktop - is that one piece ? 5m long, 600mm wide, 75 thick thats going to be a beast to move about to cut and fit especially for one person.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

And £150 was still considered too expensive for the customer? Despite the fact the work required two people to safely handle the worktop without denting or damaging it, even if one person managed alone its still bloody hard work with the sink cutout being weak and all, deduct tax, and fuel, possibly a router cutter (if was to butt and scribe) and you wonder what on earth potential customers expect tradespeople and sole traders to work for.

12. Stortford Nigel

Stortford Nigel New Member

£200 plus £20 for the router bit, sounds expensive but you are covering the risk of damage etc. I'm get people asking me to price, when we check dates, & I can't do it they ask me to price it anyway, and are put out when I say no, when I have no chance of doing the job. Is there a polite way of saying I'm not going to provide a check price?