am i best sealing bare brickwalls in a bathroom prior to dot dab of moisture boards?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bandibusa, Jul 29, 2015.

1. bandibusa

bandibusa New Member

Been trying to find out whats the correct way of proceeding with bathroom renovation prior to dot and dabing new moisture boards. Seen a lot mention PVA but with PVA been unstable with moisture and water doesnt seem to me its a good idea to use in a bathroom.

Would the bare brickwork would i be better sealing/priming the walls after cleaning the dust off the walls or just fix the boards to the walls?

if so what products would be suitable?

the walls are a mixture of solid brick and breeze blocks of 1950 vintage if that helps.

thanks

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Brush dust off and dab, no need for pva. Make sure there are no bits of cement/old plaster (snots) sticking out to stop board going back flat and a good idea to pack board off floor with a few scraps of PB. You may or may not need to put a bit of foam around window if dabbing reveals as there may be gaps. Get a good straight edge of at least 6' , say a length of 3 or 4x2" to 'tap' boards level/flat - check horiz/vert/diag for flatness and use your level to check plumb. Don't use level for tapping boards...not mine anyway! :) that's about it. Oh, if your tiling complete wall and you've got your boards flat enough...no need to skim. Good luck.

FatHands and bandibusa like this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

One more thing, try and get corner square where you bath is going....use a piece of plasterboard to check.

bandibusa likes this.
  4. bandibusa

bandibusa New Member

Thank you very much with your reply it was very helpful. Metalwork, vehicle technician and woodwork my forty building isnt although capability isnt lacking just the knowledge and science. Thanks again CGN

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No worries :) Yep, different tolerances to deal with, nothing square/level etc etc and often 'broader brush strokes' required 'behind the scenes'. You'll be fine once you get the hang of the materials.

bandibusa likes this.
  6. bandibusa

bandibusa New Member

When i get the hang of it i probably never hear the end of it from the missis. It be the kitchen could do with and the bedrooms could do with.... sod that im off to east coast on da bike for a cuppa.

CGN likes this.
  7. Sieski_uk

Sieski_uk New Member

I woukld always skim when tiling myself.... removal later can damage the board without skim.......

also brush the wall with a wet brush before dabbing.... makes it less likely to roll off on the dust!

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As above re: damping walls down first, as for skimming or not, I personally wouldn't bother, I'd want the tiles stuck to the board not skim.