am I safe to re-plaster yet?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dogfox2, Dec 9, 2016.

1. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Hi all,

So we've had an on-going damp problem with rain water damaging two walls in our 2nd floor Victorian conversion flat (see pictures).

External works are underway, a lot of re-pointing took place last month near the problem area. The damp no longer seems to be getting worse, in fact it seems a bit drier of late (of course the staining and damaged plaster remains!).

Can I hack it all back to brick and re-plaster/re-decorate now since the external factors are likely gone, but in such a way that the plastering method (e.g. sand/cement) will withstand a bit of further water ingress? In case it takes until early next year to fix all remaining external factors (e.g. guttering).

I know I should wait just wait, but the external works are massively over-running and my tenant won't put up with the situation any longer - and I don't blame them! So it would be ideal to start internal works now.

Many Thanks IMG_5501.JPG IMG_5499.JPG IMG_5494.JPG

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you haven't resolved all the exterior problems, then pointless replastering/ redecorating interior, walls can take several months to dry out, longer in the winter.
    It's no good treating/sealing the inside wall if there is still moisture within the wall that needs to escape.

koolpc likes this.
  3. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Thanks KIAB. The bricks are (pretty porous) Victorian stock so they should dry out reasonably quickly - but nonetheless we can't wait several months for them to dry out: also surely if the inside wall is sealed then any moisture will be forced the other way (i.e. harmlessly outside)? Again they're pretty porous bricks which should help and there's no external render stopping them 'breathe' on the outside

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Seek Some professional advice from some local Plasterers / builders etc. Dont rush into it. May prove costly if you do!

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I would suggest using lime plaster for this. It will allow the wall to breath reducing the amount of damp that will exist in victorian stone walls.

Normal Gypsun plaster seals the walls and can create issues such as the ones you are experiencing.

If you were to have the external walls rendered they would also need to be done with a lime render.

Also wallpapering the lime plaster stops the ability for it to breath, as the adhesive seals the plaster. You would have to paint lime plaster.

FatHands, KIAB and koolpc like this.
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Superb advice. Def agree

Joe95 likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Lime all the way.[​IMG]

Joe95 likes this.
  8. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

OK many thanks all. The exterior will never be rendered, so it is just re-plastering the internals. How about installing the below damp membrane prior to re-plastering w/lime plaster?

They claim the below, which sounds good:
    • Significantly prolong the life of the internal finish whilst still allowing for natural evaporation of dampness from the structure
    • Highly sympathetic to buildings and are fully reversible; a requirement when treating listed buildings in the United Kingdom

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Before you had the rainwater problem damaging two walls, due in some respect to failed pointing, you had no problems with damp, house was perfectly dry.
    Pointless having it done in my opinion, save your money.

10. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

The idea would be so that we do not have to wait several months for the bricks to dry out, i.e. we can get rid of the unsightly damaged plaster sooner!

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

These are used for continually damp walls, I have seen them in a few basements and cellars under commercial/business property.
    As you are not suffering from a permanent damp issue, the lime plaster will be enough to keep the walls dry.

Lime has worked in many properties for years and years, so I think you would be wasting your money on purchasing this product. Lime can be applied to moderately damp walls too.

KIAB is right, save your money.

KIAB likes this.
  12. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

13. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

Renovating plaster like Limelite is good stuff to use, has a salt retarder in it, and it's breathable. Don't use sand/cement, especially not for repointing outside, it will make the damp worse

14. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Ok thanks for that. The plan then will be to:

1. Hack current plaster off, back to the brick
    2. Apply initial coat of Limelite renovating plaster - http://www.pozament.co.uk/products/limelite-renovating/
    3. Finish with a thin topcoat of Limelite finishing plaster - http://www.pozament.co.uk/products/high-impact-finishing-plaster/

Anyone know how long I need to leave between applying the first and second plaster coats?

Thanks in advance!

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Out of interest, do you own an SDS drill? A tile removing chisel on an SDS would have it off in a quarter of the time doing it by hand would.
    If you don't, it may be a good excuse to get one;).

16. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Alas I don't, but am getting a trusted tradesman in!