Angle finder.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Feb 9, 2017.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

Just wandering what everyone is using to find there angles etc, what's the best and easiest tool out there!

I've got a sliding bevel and I have a trend mire fix.

But been looking at the trend digital mitre finder. Any one use this? Looks so easy to use.

Jord86 likes this.
  2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Depends what you want to do ? Replicate the angle or measure the angle

I have a nobex angle finder, sliding bevels, protractors, digital ones which measure tilt for table saws, jigs for measuring angles for mitre saws and coving cutters

tore81 likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I have a sliding protractor, was useful when cutting PIR insulation to 30 degrees.

4. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

Sliding Bevel and a Protractor gets me most angles i have needed for years. As for roofing i use a Swanson speed square. These days their are digital angle finders and other things you can use, but the two things ive mentioned above has never failed me once.

Bertie

tore81 likes this.
  5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Those digital finders look good.

Allthough sospans Norbex looks ideal for what I want.

Festool do a similar type of thing. Not sure you can buy it without the saw which is rough 1k lol

I don't do roof work! Secound fix mostly

I have bought a teen tre angle fix the red one. Not overly impressed with it

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Speed squares and combination square are what I use for most 90 degree work.

Bertiebasset likes this.
  7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Trend tri angle fix that was meant to be!

Thought the trend digital looked a lot better

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The digital angle finders do make it easier and quicker especially with older eyes. You can spend from £20 to £100's.

tore81, Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've had a look at the digital angle finders, seems there are a few different ones by Trend, one with a bubble on would be useful for determining the pitch of roof or stairs for instance. About £37 each.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Use sliding bevel and speed square most of time. Sometimes just using the square to set the bevel at 90 degress so i can set the depth on bevel.

Can get angles from speed square, just need to used the 'pivot point' to match angle.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Jitender likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can manage without them and I generally do but if you are having to find or set different angles a lot especially where there are no right angles they are handy.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't have one but a couple of people I know do and I've never heard them complain and I have borrowed one now and again and it works.

tore81 likes this.
  16. neibick76

neibick76 Member

I have a tread angle finder which half's the angle for you.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got one of those some where, never use it.
    All these tools depend on what you are doing regularly as to what you want to spend to save you time and effort which as a pro both have a monitory value and also the logistics of carrying the tool..

tore81 likes this.
  18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would like to get a set of "woodpeckers" squares, rules etc. but just can't justify it to myself

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I had a quick look at the site and it just seems like very expensive, useless, gizmos's.

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There is a lot of stuff on their site but their own manufactured tools - in a red paint/dye are theirs
    The larger squares, t-squares etc are very good quality and are engineered to last and never go out of true. One of the presenters at an Axminster tool demo had some to check the alignment of fences etc.

The 12 inch speed square is something like $100 plus shipping, so £100 for a square is too rich for me

tore81 likes this.