Angle of lead slate

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Possom, May 5, 2017.

1. Possom

Possom Member

The diagram below shows a 5:12 roof pitch. From this, I've calculated the angles and included them, they are, 67.4° and 22.6°.

A soil pipe will project out through the kitchen roof, after having being brought from the 1st floor bathroom toilet and immediately through the bathroom wall which locates it within the ground floor kitchen roofspace.

I therefore require a lead slate (in grey on diagram) produced with a specific angle (in blue). This angle is between the lead slate and the attached lead pipe.

For the angle, I was thinking of 22.6° - 2.5° = 20°.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

No

Lead slates are vertical as is the SVP

Slate is whatever pitch of roof is

3. Possom

Possom Member

It's possible to purchase angled lead slates. For example:

http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/lead-slates-angled/

However, the "best" that can be purchased off-the-shelf appears to be 45 degrees from the slate, whereas I think I would require 20 degrees from the slate. Though I know that these types of lead slate can be produced on a one-off basis, so could probably get one specially made.

What is the SVP?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

SVP = Soil Vent Pipe.

This should be vertical straight out of the roof, your drawing appears to be horizontal ???

5. Possom

Possom Member

Ok, I see what you mean.

The soil pipe comes straight out through the 1st floor bathroom wall, directly from the toilet, and emerges within the kitchen roof cavity.

The slightly less than horizontal green line is the soil pipe initially within the kitchen roof cavity then emerging from the slates and connecting up to the vertical green SVP.

6. Phil the Paver

You mean something like this.

winter-snow-ice-problems-house-home_clip_image002_0010.jpg

Ignore red circles there were on the image found on Google.

Possom likes this.
  7. Possom

Possom Member

8. Phil the Paver

9. Possom

Possom Member

This is the type of product that I need. In the one you linked the angle between the plate and the tube is 45 degrees.

However, according to my calculations, the angle between the plate and the pipe would need to be 20 degrees. It doesn't appear to be possible to purchase this off-the-shelf, so I'd have to get it made specially.

I'm wondering if I have the calculation of 20 degrees correct to take into account the fact that this pipe has to have a slight slope in it.

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Yes the 20deg is correct based on your sizes and a 2.5deg drop on the pipe
    upload_2017-5-5_12-14-7.png

Possom likes this.
  11. Phil the Paver

If you've got a local roofer who does lead work, they will make up a lead pipe surround on site all welded to suit.
    Yes it will cost more than an off the shelf one, but as you're finding out they're not common.

Possom likes this.
  12. Possom

Possom Member

Thanks very much CraigMcK. What software package did you use to produce the diagram, I just did my original diagram in Paint.

13. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Slates are made on site normally, they take 20-30 mins,

14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Hi it's done in solid works.
    It is really a 3d modeller but can do quick sketches like that too.

If you want a better drawing package for the technical side try draftsight it's free and very good

Possom likes this.
  15. Possom

Possom Member

Thanks for that!

Would anyone happen to know if a weathering collar would also be required to attached between the lead pipe (from the lead slate) and the attached plastic soil pipe?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sp300-weathering-collar-black-110mm/25918

16. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Clear mastic

Possom likes this.
  17. Possom

Possom Member

Thanks!