Annoying occurences...

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by diymostthings, Feb 22, 2017.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

If I ever drop a screw on the floor (like electrical screws) I can never find it again - ever.
    If I stand my step ladders on the floor the feet ALWAYS land on the flex to my drill and crush it alarmingly.
    If I want a pencil the one I find has always got a broken lead and needs sharpening - but by the time I have sharpened in to a nice point with my Stanley knife, it is down to 15mm long.
    So I try to use a biro - but where is the one I was using 10 minutes ago? - gone for eternity. The only one left has dried up.

Tim Peak reported that he saw one of my 3mm screws from a ceiling rose orbiting Saturn.

Diymostthings

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I thought this was another Brexit thread going by the title. :p:p:p:p

PaulBlackpool and KIAB like this.
  3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep annoying occurrences happen to me all the bloody time. At work, if I leave a pen on the table whilst I attend to a patient, I turn round and some nurse has nabbed it. Fitted a kitchen years ago for the ex wife and bought a worktop jig. Before I could use it, she'd thrown the instructions out. (thought it was assembly instructions for the base/ wall units) one job I was on, the electrician asked if he could borrow a chisel. Told him to help himself. Walked through to where he was ten minutes later and there he is,, chasing sodding brickwork out with one of my marples splitproof chisels. :eek: (wouldn't have minded, but I had plenty of cold chisels in my tool box he could have used)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. diymostthings

5. From hardened experience, if you drop a wee screw or summat - don't chase or bend down after it as soon as it falls - just stand dead still and look fixed down in the direction it's falling and you have a much greater chance of detecting where it pings to. The eyes/brain is designed to be sensitive to detecting movement and it'll often pick up on where it's bouncing to even out t'corner of t'eye.

6. diymostthings

I can sympathise with the chisel being ruined. I once loaned my SDS masonry drill with roto stop and chisel attachment to an electrician who was chasing switch drops in our house. I wondered what the banging was and couldn't hear the drill running. When I investigated he was using the chisel attachment like an ordinary cold chisel. Those were the days when I was too scared to stand up for myself and when I got it back it would not fit in the drill - the end had been flattened.

Aside from DIY there is a black hole near the Andromeda galaxy with all my unpaired socks in it, the woolly hat my Gran knitted me and hundreds of biros...

diymostthings

7. diymostthings

Well in some cases I can hear it tinkling on the step ladder and even sometimes hear it hitting the floor, but can rarely find it. If I do find it its usually a surprising distance from where I dropped it.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is the "that looks cheap / good, I will pick one up later" only to find that it is sold out /price gone up.

The point where you have just climbed the ladder and then realise the tool you need is at the bottom

You are just executing that perfect bit of caulking and the tube runs out just before the end

Standing in a decorating shop with the wife with a colour swatch in one hand trying to find a colour "that matches" the one in her hand, it is like the drip, drip of Japanese water torture - "how about this one?" or "this one", "how about this one?" or "this one" .... then 30 mins leaves with nothing because she can't make up her mind.

9. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

So did I.:D

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Annoying thing that happened to me is when i forgot to put matches in my ears and i fell down a drain!

11. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

That's a new one on me!:)

12. "Doctor Finlay - is that a rectal thermometer you're writing with?!"

"Aye, Margaret, some bum's got my pen."