Annular nails into aluminium?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lamik, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Lamik

Lamik New Member

Insulating a box van with tri-iso multi foil blanket & didn't anticipate the problems I'd have fastening the battens over it (would usually be nailed into wooden joints of course, but I'm trying to fasten to aluminium struts & of course having a nightmare trying to screw or drill through the material.). Silly me. A friend suggested that using annular nails with a depth adjustment could speed things up. Sounds good, but concerned that the vibrations/movement from driving could eventually work them loose

Anyone have any thoughts on if this could work or any other ideas if not?

Much appreciated!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You cannot drill through tri-iso multi foil, wraps around drill bit, & Annular nails are not designed aluminum, better to use self drilling screws, but you'll still might tri-iso wrapping around the screw.

Got some photo's , we might come up with a solution.

3. Lamik

Lamik New Member

Thanks Kiab. Yeah, unfortunately self drilling screws get caught too. I've taken to making 1cm holes manually with a leather punch so I can drill/screw without catching on to the fibers, but it just takes ages!

4. Lamik

Lamik New Member

So here are some photos

Attached Files: