Another cold conservatory

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by patters78, Nov 8, 2016.

1. patters78

patters78 Member

Hi everyone

Recently moved house and never had a conservatory before and my god it cold!

Now at some point in the future I will be either turning it into a proper extension or adding a roof and replacing the windows but for now it's cold and I want to try and improve it over the winter.

So I'm gonna add a ceiling, can anyone direct me to a good guide or tell me what to look out for etc.. I'm worried about adding weight to the roof but would still prefer it to be plaster board rather than plastic.

Added a few pics all be it not great

Attached Files:

2. patters78

patters78 Member

Forgot to add the conservatory is 4m by 3m one of them side bars are 2.5m long

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

We moved recently and have our first conservatory, which came with the house.

It is all glass. Glass roof. Small brick wall around. One rad in room.

Yes, its cold! One wall has rad on. It had a window in the wall that looked into one of the bedrooms! We had that blocked up (Plasterboard, plastered (See my other thread about builder trouble!)

4. What you really need, Patters, is a nice long thread on here about insulating connie roofs.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

when we moved into our present house, and after experiencing other peoples cold conservatories, I was pleasantly surprised how warm ours is. Insulation in the slab, 24mm DG and best of all 5-ply polycarb roof. It has its own radiator, and can easily be kept at a good temp in everything except the coldest winter.

FatHands likes this.
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Yet to try ours with the rad in there due to trying to sort out the plastered wall.